Running headers

  • Richard R. Liu
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2001
      Any suggestions on how to implement running headers with XEP?

      If I understand the CR, I have put the changing headers as fo:marker
      children of an fo:flow block, e.g.,

      <fo:flow ... >
      <fo:marker marker-class-name="running_header">
      [blocks composing header]
      </fo:marker>
      <!-- Change header on the basis of something in the flow -->
      <fo:marker marker-class-name="running_header">
      [blocks composing modified header]
      </fo:marker>
      </fo:flow>

      The marker would be used in an fo:static-content, e.g.,

      <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before" ...>
      <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="running_header"/>
      </fo:static-content>

      Questions:

      1. Do I understand correctly that each subsequent occurrence of fo:marker
      with the same classname redefines the header?
      2. According to the documentation, XEP doesn't support markers. Is there a
      workaround for running headers?

      Richard R. Liu
      Gundeldingerstr. 171
      4053 Basel
      Tel.: 061/361 32 75
      E-mail: richard-liu@...
    • Nikolai Grigoriev
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2001
        Richard,

        > 1. Do I understand correctly that each subsequent occurrence of fo:marker
        > with the same classname redefines the header?

        The actual model is a bit more complicated. Markers are associated with areas
        produced by formatting objects; the resulting structure is arborescent rather
        than linear. Suppose you have a block (A) nested into another block (B), both
        defining a marker of the same class; then the marker of B will be visible only
        inside B, but areas of A preceding B and following B will get the marker of A.

        The selection of the marker depends on retrieve-position and retrieve-boundary
        properties; this is described in the XSL CR [6.11.4. fo:retrieve-marker]. The
        text is terse but unambiguous (except for marker shadowing that lacks
        description). Please note that the selection operates on areas, rather than
        formatting objects that generated them.

        > 2. According to the documentation, XEP doesn't support markers. Is there a
        > workaround for running headers?

        No. And, to the best of my knowledge, there can be no workarounds: the contents
        of the header is determined by the respective static-content, therefore all
        occurrences of a page master will inevitably have the same side regions content.
        Unless you make a separate page-sequence out of each division in your text, you
        won't be able to switch the header. The best approximation possible so far can
        be found in the XSL-FO tutorial inside XEP documentation; you can see that its
        PDF version has chapter name cited in the header. But each chapter starts a new
        page sequence, thus causing a page break.

        Regards,

        Nikolai Grigoriev
        RenderX
      • Dave Pawson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2001
          At 03:18 AM 1/30/01, you wrote:
          >Any suggestions on how to implement running headers with XEP?
          >
          >If I understand the CR, I have put the changing headers as fo:marker

          but xep doesn't implement fo:marker yet.

          Regards DaveP
        • David Tolpin
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 30, 2001

            > At 03:18 AM 1/30/01, you wrote:
            > >Any suggestions on how to implement running headers with XEP?
            > >
            > >If I understand the CR, I have put the changing headers as fo:marker
            >

            > but xep doesn't implement fo:marker yet.

            It does. Not the evaluation version, it has not been updated. The commercial
            version currently available supports hyphenation, markers, floats (before)
            and many other useful things.

            David Tolpin
          • richard-liu@datacomm.ch
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2001
              Nikolai,

              --- In XSL-FO@y..., "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@r...> wrote:
              > > 2. According to the documentation, XEP doesn't support markers.
              Is there a
              > > workaround for running headers?
              >
              > No. And, to the best of my knowledge, there can be no workarounds:
              the contents
              > of the header is determined by the respective static-content,
              therefore all
              > occurrences of a page master will inevitably have the same side
              regions content.
              > Unless you make a separate page-sequence out of each division in
              your text, you
              > won't be able to switch the header. The best approximation possible
              so far can
              > be found in the XSL-FO tutorial inside XEP documentation; you can
              see that its
              > PDF version has chapter name cited in the header. But each chapter
              starts a new
              > page sequence, thus causing a page break.

              Actually, that's an acceptable workaround. In fact, that's what I
              had tried. But it was getting very late -- or rather, very early the
              next morning -- and I didn't notice that the header had been
              switched. For the sake of experiment I had just duplicated the first
              page-sequence and changed its headers. Unfortunately, the page-
              sequence alternated between odd- and even-numbered page masters, and
              I had neglected to change the header for the odd-numbered pages. So
              it remained the same as in the previous page-sequence, whence I
              erroneously concluded that something wasn't working.

              Regards,
              Richard