Re: fo:footnote problem

  • wbichelaer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
      Thanks Ken for laying out my problem more precisely!!
      It's a pity that there's no solution to this problem (for now then).

      Greetings,

      Willem
    • vangelh
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
        --- In XSL-FO@y..., "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
        > At 2002-01-09 16:47 +0000, Tony Graham wrote:
        > >wbichelaer wrote at 9 Jan 2002 10:48:13 -0000:
        > > > I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a
        certain
        > > > page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning
        of the
        > > > document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not
        dependent
        > > > on the current page the footnote is shown. So a footnote and
        its
        > > > accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
        > > > beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
        > > > problem?
        > >
        > >You state both that "footnotes are counted from the beginning of
        the
        > >document"
        >
        > I read it as that is what he is experiencing ...
        >
        > >and that "a footnote and its accompanying number must be
        > >calculated per page."
        >
        > ... and that this is what he wants ...
        >
        > >This seems contradictory.
        >
        > ... which is why I think he has gone to the list for help.
        >
        > >If you want an example of numbering footnotes consecutively
        throughout
        > >the document,
        >
        > Which is what I think he doesn't want, but is what he is getting.
        >
        > I apologize if I've misread his comment, but I wanted to justify
        how I had
        > answered his query: that what he wants cannot be done with XSLFO
        1.0. I
        > would be pleased to be proven wrong.

        I think Ken is right: there is no way of knowing when a new page will
        be generated when using fo:flow elements ( mandatory within page-
        sequence). For now the best I can think of seems to be to reset a
        footnote-count param to 1 when a new fo:flow starts.