Re: [XSL-FO] fo:footnote problem

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
      At 2002-01-09 16:47 +0000, Tony Graham wrote:
      >wbichelaer wrote at 9 Jan 2002 10:48:13 -0000:
      > > I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a certain
      > > page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
      > > document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not dependent
      > > on the current page the footnote is shown. So a footnote and its
      > > accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
      > > beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
      > > problem?
      >
      >You state both that "footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
      >document"

      I read it as that is what he is experiencing ...

      >and that "a footnote and its accompanying number must be
      >calculated per page."

      ... and that this is what he wants ...

      >This seems contradictory.

      ... which is why I think he has gone to the list for help.

      >If you want an example of numbering footnotes consecutively throughout
      >the document,

      Which is what I think he doesn't want, but is what he is getting.

      I apologize if I've misread his comment, but I wanted to justify how I had
      answered his query: that what he wants cannot be done with XSLFO 1.0. I
      would be pleased to be proven wrong.

      ................ Ken

      --
      Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO - Feb 18-22, 2002

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT & XPath
      ISBN 1-894049-07-1 Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
      XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books(electronic, printed),
      articles, training(instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
      Next public training: 2002-01-10,11,16,18,02-11,12,13,15,18,21,
      - 03-11,14,15,18,19,04-08,09,10,12
    • wbichelaer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
        Thanks Ken for laying out my problem more precisely!!
        It's a pity that there's no solution to this problem (for now then).

        Greetings,

        Willem
      • vangelh
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
          --- In XSL-FO@y..., "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
          > At 2002-01-09 16:47 +0000, Tony Graham wrote:
          > >wbichelaer wrote at 9 Jan 2002 10:48:13 -0000:
          > > > I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a
          certain
          > > > page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning
          of the
          > > > document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not
          dependent
          > > > on the current page the footnote is shown. So a footnote and
          its
          > > > accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
          > > > beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
          > > > problem?
          > >
          > >You state both that "footnotes are counted from the beginning of
          the
          > >document"
          >
          > I read it as that is what he is experiencing ...
          >
          > >and that "a footnote and its accompanying number must be
          > >calculated per page."
          >
          > ... and that this is what he wants ...
          >
          > >This seems contradictory.
          >
          > ... which is why I think he has gone to the list for help.
          >
          > >If you want an example of numbering footnotes consecutively
          throughout
          > >the document,
          >
          > Which is what I think he doesn't want, but is what he is getting.
          >
          > I apologize if I've misread his comment, but I wanted to justify
          how I had
          > answered his query: that what he wants cannot be done with XSLFO
          1.0. I
          > would be pleased to be proven wrong.

          I think Ken is right: there is no way of knowing when a new page will
          be generated when using fo:flow elements ( mandatory within page-
          sequence). For now the best I can think of seems to be to reset a
          footnote-count param to 1 when a new fo:flow starts.