Re: [XSL-FO] fo:footnote problem

  • Tony Graham
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
      wbichelaer wrote at 9 Jan 2002 10:48:13 -0000:
      > I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a certain
      > page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
      > document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not dependent
      > on the current page the footnote is shown. So a footnote and its
      > accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
      > beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
      > problem?

      You state both that "footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
      document" and that "a footnote and its accompanying number must be
      calculated per page." This seems contradictory.

      If you want an example of numbering footnotes consecutively throughout
      the document, see Section 6.10.1.4.2 of the XSL Recommendation.

      Regards,

      Tony Graham
      XML Technology Center - Dublin mailto:tony.graham@...
      Sun Microsystems Ireland Ltd Phone: +353 1 8199708
      Hamilton House, East Point Business Park, Dublin 3 x(70)19708
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
        At 2002-01-09 16:47 +0000, Tony Graham wrote:
        >wbichelaer wrote at 9 Jan 2002 10:48:13 -0000:
        > > I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a certain
        > > page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
        > > document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not dependent
        > > on the current page the footnote is shown. So a footnote and its
        > > accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
        > > beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
        > > problem?
        >
        >You state both that "footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
        >document"

        I read it as that is what he is experiencing ...

        >and that "a footnote and its accompanying number must be
        >calculated per page."

        ... and that this is what he wants ...

        >This seems contradictory.

        ... which is why I think he has gone to the list for help.

        >If you want an example of numbering footnotes consecutively throughout
        >the document,

        Which is what I think he doesn't want, but is what he is getting.

        I apologize if I've misread his comment, but I wanted to justify how I had
        answered his query: that what he wants cannot be done with XSLFO 1.0. I
        would be pleased to be proven wrong.

        ................ Ken

        --
        Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO - Feb 18-22, 2002

        ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT & XPath
        ISBN 1-894049-07-1 Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
        XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books(electronic, printed),
        articles, training(instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
        Next public training: 2002-01-10,11,16,18,02-11,12,13,15,18,21,
        - 03-11,14,15,18,19,04-08,09,10,12
      • wbichelaer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
          Thanks Ken for laying out my problem more precisely!!
          It's a pity that there's no solution to this problem (for now then).

          Greetings,

          Willem
        • vangelh
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
            --- In XSL-FO@y..., "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
            > At 2002-01-09 16:47 +0000, Tony Graham wrote:
            > >wbichelaer wrote at 9 Jan 2002 10:48:13 -0000:
            > > > I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a
            certain
            > > > page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning
            of the
            > > > document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not
            dependent
            > > > on the current page the footnote is shown. So a footnote and
            its
            > > > accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
            > > > beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
            > > > problem?
            > >
            > >You state both that "footnotes are counted from the beginning of
            the
            > >document"
            >
            > I read it as that is what he is experiencing ...
            >
            > >and that "a footnote and its accompanying number must be
            > >calculated per page."
            >
            > ... and that this is what he wants ...
            >
            > >This seems contradictory.
            >
            > ... which is why I think he has gone to the list for help.
            >
            > >If you want an example of numbering footnotes consecutively
            throughout
            > >the document,
            >
            > Which is what I think he doesn't want, but is what he is getting.
            >
            > I apologize if I've misread his comment, but I wanted to justify
            how I had
            > answered his query: that what he wants cannot be done with XSLFO
            1.0. I
            > would be pleased to be proven wrong.

            I think Ken is right: there is no way of knowing when a new page will
            be generated when using fo:flow elements ( mandatory within page-
            sequence). For now the best I can think of seems to be to reset a
            footnote-count param to 1 when a new fo:flow starts.