Re: [XSL-FO] fo:footnote problem

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
      At 2002-01-09 10:48 +0000, wbichelaer wrote:
      >I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a certain
      >page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
      >document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not dependent
      >on the current page the footnote is shown.

      Since you are responsible for both the display of the footnote citation and
      the display of the footnote content, and you don't know where the page
      boundaries are, I think what you want cannot be done.

      You could mitigate it a bit by breaking your document into meaningful page
      sequences, and then start renumbering your footnotes in each sequence as
      you generate it in your stylesheet, but this won't do it per flowed page as
      you ask.

      >So a footnote and its
      >accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
      >beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
      >problem?

      I don't think this can be done in XSLFO 1.0. You would need a
      page-oriented formatting construct managed by the formatter to utilize
      within the footnote citation and display.

      ......................... Ken

      --
      Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO - Feb 18-22, 2002

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT & XPath
      ISBN 1-894049-07-1 Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
      XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books(electronic, printed),
      articles, training(instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
      Next public training: 2002-01-10,11,16,18,02-11,12,13,15,18,21,
      - 03-11,14,15,18,19,04-08,09,10,12
    • Tony Graham
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
        wbichelaer wrote at 9 Jan 2002 10:48:13 -0000:
        > I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a certain
        > page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
        > document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not dependent
        > on the current page the footnote is shown. So a footnote and its
        > accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
        > beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
        > problem?

        You state both that "footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
        document" and that "a footnote and its accompanying number must be
        calculated per page." This seems contradictory.

        If you want an example of numbering footnotes consecutively throughout
        the document, see Section 6.10.1.4.2 of the XSL Recommendation.

        Regards,

        Tony Graham
        XML Technology Center - Dublin mailto:tony.graham@...
        Sun Microsystems Ireland Ltd Phone: +353 1 8199708
        Hamilton House, East Point Business Park, Dublin 3 x(70)19708
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
          At 2002-01-09 16:47 +0000, Tony Graham wrote:
          >wbichelaer wrote at 9 Jan 2002 10:48:13 -0000:
          > > I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a certain
          > > page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
          > > document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not dependent
          > > on the current page the footnote is shown. So a footnote and its
          > > accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
          > > beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
          > > problem?
          >
          >You state both that "footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
          >document"

          I read it as that is what he is experiencing ...

          >and that "a footnote and its accompanying number must be
          >calculated per page."

          ... and that this is what he wants ...

          >This seems contradictory.

          ... which is why I think he has gone to the list for help.

          >If you want an example of numbering footnotes consecutively throughout
          >the document,

          Which is what I think he doesn't want, but is what he is getting.

          I apologize if I've misread his comment, but I wanted to justify how I had
          answered his query: that what he wants cannot be done with XSLFO 1.0. I
          would be pleased to be proven wrong.

          ................ Ken

          --
          Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO - Feb 18-22, 2002

          ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT & XPath
          ISBN 1-894049-07-1 Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
          XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books(electronic, printed),
          articles, training(instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
          Next public training: 2002-01-10,11,16,18,02-11,12,13,15,18,21,
          - 03-11,14,15,18,19,04-08,09,10,12
        • wbichelaer
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
            Thanks Ken for laying out my problem more precisely!!
            It's a pity that there's no solution to this problem (for now then).

            Greetings,

            Willem
          • vangelh
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
              --- In XSL-FO@y..., "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
              > At 2002-01-09 16:47 +0000, Tony Graham wrote:
              > >wbichelaer wrote at 9 Jan 2002 10:48:13 -0000:
              > > > I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a
              certain
              > > > page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning
              of the
              > > > document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not
              dependent
              > > > on the current page the footnote is shown. So a footnote and
              its
              > > > accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
              > > > beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
              > > > problem?
              > >
              > >You state both that "footnotes are counted from the beginning of
              the
              > >document"
              >
              > I read it as that is what he is experiencing ...
              >
              > >and that "a footnote and its accompanying number must be
              > >calculated per page."
              >
              > ... and that this is what he wants ...
              >
              > >This seems contradictory.
              >
              > ... which is why I think he has gone to the list for help.
              >
              > >If you want an example of numbering footnotes consecutively
              throughout
              > >the document,
              >
              > Which is what I think he doesn't want, but is what he is getting.
              >
              > I apologize if I've misread his comment, but I wanted to justify
              how I had
              > answered his query: that what he wants cannot be done with XSLFO
              1.0. I
              > would be pleased to be proven wrong.

              I think Ken is right: there is no way of knowing when a new page will
              be generated when using fo:flow elements ( mandatory within page-
              sequence). For now the best I can think of seems to be to reset a
              footnote-count param to 1 when a new fo:flow starts.