fo:footnote problem

  • wbichelaer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
      Hi there,

      I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a certain
      page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
      document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not dependent
      on the current page the footnote is shown. So a footnote and its
      accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
      beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
      problem?

      Thanks in advance!

      Greetings,

      Willem
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
        At 2002-01-09 10:48 +0000, wbichelaer wrote:
        >I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a certain
        >page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
        >document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not dependent
        >on the current page the footnote is shown.

        Since you are responsible for both the display of the footnote citation and
        the display of the footnote content, and you don't know where the page
        boundaries are, I think what you want cannot be done.

        You could mitigate it a bit by breaking your document into meaningful page
        sequences, and then start renumbering your footnotes in each sequence as
        you generate it in your stylesheet, but this won't do it per flowed page as
        you ask.

        >So a footnote and its
        >accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
        >beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
        >problem?

        I don't think this can be done in XSLFO 1.0. You would need a
        page-oriented formatting construct managed by the formatter to utilize
        within the footnote citation and display.

        ......................... Ken

        --
        Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO - Feb 18-22, 2002

        ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT & XPath
        ISBN 1-894049-07-1 Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
        XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books(electronic, printed),
        articles, training(instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
        Next public training: 2002-01-10,11,16,18,02-11,12,13,15,18,21,
        - 03-11,14,15,18,19,04-08,09,10,12
      • Tony Graham
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
          wbichelaer wrote at 9 Jan 2002 10:48:13 -0000:
          > I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a certain
          > page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
          > document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not dependent
          > on the current page the footnote is shown. So a footnote and its
          > accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
          > beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
          > problem?

          You state both that "footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
          document" and that "a footnote and its accompanying number must be
          calculated per page." This seems contradictory.

          If you want an example of numbering footnotes consecutively throughout
          the document, see Section 6.10.1.4.2 of the XSL Recommendation.

          Regards,

          Tony Graham
          XML Technology Center - Dublin mailto:tony.graham@...
          Sun Microsystems Ireland Ltd Phone: +353 1 8199708
          Hamilton House, East Point Business Park, Dublin 3 x(70)19708
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
            At 2002-01-09 16:47 +0000, Tony Graham wrote:
            >wbichelaer wrote at 9 Jan 2002 10:48:13 -0000:
            > > I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a certain
            > > page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
            > > document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not dependent
            > > on the current page the footnote is shown. So a footnote and its
            > > accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
            > > beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
            > > problem?
            >
            >You state both that "footnotes are counted from the beginning of the
            >document"

            I read it as that is what he is experiencing ...

            >and that "a footnote and its accompanying number must be
            >calculated per page."

            ... and that this is what he wants ...

            >This seems contradictory.

            ... which is why I think he has gone to the list for help.

            >If you want an example of numbering footnotes consecutively throughout
            >the document,

            Which is what I think he doesn't want, but is what he is getting.

            I apologize if I've misread his comment, but I wanted to justify how I had
            answered his query: that what he wants cannot be done with XSLFO 1.0. I
            would be pleased to be proven wrong.

            ................ Ken

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
              Thanks Ken for laying out my problem more precisely!!
              It's a pity that there's no solution to this problem (for now then).

              Greetings,

              Willem
            • vangelh
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
                --- In XSL-FO@y..., "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
                > At 2002-01-09 16:47 +0000, Tony Graham wrote:
                > >wbichelaer wrote at 9 Jan 2002 10:48:13 -0000:
                > > > I have a problem with showing the right footnote number on a
                certain
                > > > page. In my case the footnotes are counted from the beginning
                of the
                > > > document, so the accompanying number of a footnote is not
                dependent
                > > > on the current page the footnote is shown. So a footnote and
                its
                > > > accompanying number must be calculated per page, not from the
                > > > beginning of the document. Does someone have a solution to this
                > > > problem?
                > >
                > >You state both that "footnotes are counted from the beginning of
                the
                > >document"
                >
                > I read it as that is what he is experiencing ...
                >
                > >and that "a footnote and its accompanying number must be
                > >calculated per page."
                >
                > ... and that this is what he wants ...
                >
                > >This seems contradictory.
                >
                > ... which is why I think he has gone to the list for help.
                >
                > >If you want an example of numbering footnotes consecutively
                throughout
                > >the document,
                >
                > Which is what I think he doesn't want, but is what he is getting.
                >
                > I apologize if I've misread his comment, but I wanted to justify
                how I had
                > answered his query: that what he wants cannot be done with XSLFO
                1.0. I
                > would be pleased to be proven wrong.

                I think Ken is right: there is no way of knowing when a new page will
                be generated when using fo:flow elements ( mandatory within page-
                sequence). For now the best I can think of seems to be to reset a
                footnote-count param to 1 when a new fo:flow starts.