Re: [XSL-FO] Usenet

  • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2001
      In a message dated 14/01/01 01:44:12 GMT Standard Time, inhorbit@...
      writes:

      > Let's start a poll! Who wants to move this group to Usenet? hehe,

      Hi Jon, I assume you joined from the SVG-Developers group? ... Just for other
      members here who won't be familiar with the background, the SVG-Developers
      list on eGroups is debating the possibility of moving to Usenet - in part to
      provide a permanent public archive / learning resource on SVG.

      > No, appears that the majority likes this format well enough to keep
      > it. I could take it or leave it now that I'm on DSL. If you want
      > search capability just sign up for the daily archive to be sent and
      > then just save each one into its own directory which you can search
      > later. Requires some personal administration but it has been a work-
      > around for me.
      >
      > Andrew, great idea for a group. Thanks.
      >
      > Jon

      Jon, the great advantage of eGroups.com from my point of view is that it was
      literally a matter of minutes from finally deciding to set up an XSL-FO group
      to it being in existence. Contrast that with Usenet where there is a fairly
      complex and drawn out process, which can last a minimum of weeks. In
      addition, on Usenet, to begin that process to create a new group e.g. for
      XSL-FO you have to demonstrate an existing Usenet community who are _already_
      posting in volume on XSL-FO.

      I thought it was better to provide an XSL-FO focus now for the small (?) but
      growing XSL-FO community.

      BTW Jon, are you a "friend of Ed"? :)

      Andrew Watt