Re: forcing line breaks

  • barrett808
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001
      Thank you for the good tip, David. It's too late in our dev cycle to
      consider using a different renderer, and I'm getting the impression
      that there's no native FO solution.

      Anybody have other ideas? Or am I just up the creek w/o a paddle?

      --- In XSL-FO@y..., dvd@r... wrote:
      > Attributes are of no use here. In XEP, you may add zero-width spaces
      > wherever you want thus allowing line breaks. Just intersperse
      letters
      > with zero-width spaces in all words inside table sells and the text
      > will break right at the cells' edges.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > David Tolpin
      > RenderX
    • David Cramer
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001
        David,
        Could you give an example of this technique? What's a zero-width space
        and how do you intersperse them between letters in a given text node
        with xsl?

        Thanks,
        David

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001

          > Thank you for the good tip, David. It's too late in our dev cycle to
          > consider using a different renderer, and I'm getting the impression
          > that there's no native FO solution.
          >
          > Anybody have other ideas? Or am I just up the creek w/o a paddle?

          Zero-width space IS a native FO solution. Zero-width space is a Unicode
          character. An FO formatter is expected to be able to break lines on
          zero-width spaces.

          It is a deficiency of a formatter not to handle zero-width spaces
          properly.

          David Tolpin
          RenderX
        • barrett808
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001
            Well, that just shows you how little I know about XSL...Is there some
            convenient way to transform a text element to one with zero-width
            spaces interspersed? Seems that would be a nifty transformation to
            have in our toolkit.

            --- In XSL-FO@y..., dvd@r... wrote:

            > > Thank you for the good tip, David. It's too late in our dev cycle
            > > consider using a different renderer, and I'm getting the
            impression
            > > that there's no native FO solution.
            > >
            > > Anybody have other ideas? Or am I just up the creek w/o a paddle?
            >
            > Zero-width space IS a native FO solution. Zero-width space is a
            Unicode
            > character. An FO formatter is expected to be able to break lines on
            > zero-width spaces.
            >
            > It is a deficiency of a formatter not to handle zero-width spaces
            > properly.
            >
            > David Tolpin
            > RenderX
          • Nikolai Grigoriev
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
              Hi,

              > Well, that just shows you how little I know about XSL...Is there some
              > convenient way to transform a text element to one with zero-width
              > spaces interspersed? Seems that would be a nifty transformation to
              > have in our toolkit.

              <xsl:template match="text()" mode="insert-zero-spaces">
              <xsl:call-template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
              <xsl:with-param name="str" select="."/>
              </xsl:call-template>
              </xsl:template>

              <xsl:template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
              <xsl:param name="str"/>
              <xsl:variable name="spacechars">

                   ​
              </xsl:variable>

              <xsl:if test="string-length($str) > 1">
              <xsl:variable name="c1" select="substring($str, 1, 1)/>
              <xsl:variable name="c2" select="substring($str, 2, 1)/>

              <xsl:value-of select="$c1"/>
              <!-- Insert a zero-width space between any two non-space characters -->
              <xsl:if test="not(contains($spacechars, $c1) or contains($spacechars,
              $c2))">
              <xsl:text>​</xsl:text>
              </xsl:if>

              <xsl:call-template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
              <xsl:with-param name="str" select="substring($str, 2)"/>
              </xsl:call-template>
              </xsl:if>
              </xsl:call-template>

              Regards,

              Nikolai Grigoriev
              RenderX
            • barrett808
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                Thank you, Nikolai. This looks promising, but I'm having problems
                making it work. Here's the code (slightly adapted) I'm using, and it
                basically just spits out the text content of the elements with a
                bunch of white space between them.

                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
                <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
                xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">
                <!-- This template sprinkles zero-width space characters in a
                text element -->
[...]

                <xsl:text>F</xsl:text>
                <!-- </xsl:if> -->
                <xsl:call-template name="intersperse-with-
                zero-spaces">
                <xsl:with-param name="str"
                select="substring($str, 2)"/>
                </xsl:call-template>
                </xsl:if>
                </xsl:template>
                </xsl:stylesheet>

                --- In XSL-FO@y..., "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@r...> wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > > Well, that just shows you how little I know about XSL...Is there
                some
                > > convenient way to transform a text element to one with zero-width
                > > spaces interspersed? Seems that would be a nifty transformation to
                > > have in our toolkit.
                >
                > <xsl:template match="text()" mode="insert-zero-spaces">
                > <xsl:call-template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
                > <xsl:with-param name="str" select="."/>
                > </xsl:call-template>
                > </xsl:template>
                >
                > <xsl:template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
                > <xsl:param name="str"/>
                > <xsl:variable name="spacechars">
                >

                >      ​
                > </xsl:variable>
                >
                > <xsl:if test="string-length($str) > 1">
                > <xsl:variable name="c1" select="substring($str, 1, 1)/>
                > <xsl:variable name="c2" select="substring($str, 2, 1)/>
                >
                > <xsl:value-of select="$c1"/>
                > <!-- Insert a zero-width space between any two non-space
                characters -->
                > <xsl:if test="not(contains($spacechars, $c1) or contains
                ($spacechars,
                > $c2))">
                > <xsl:text>​</xsl:text>
                > </xsl:if>
                >
                > <xsl:call-template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
                > <xsl:with-param name="str" select="substring($str, 2)"/>
                > </xsl:call-template>
                > </xsl:if>
                > </xsl:call-template>
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Nikolai Grigoriev
                > RenderX
              • barrett808

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                    Ah, progress: taking out the mode="insert-zero-spaces" attribute from
                    the first template gets me strings with embedded nonprintable
                    characters, which is a lot closer. More to follow...

                  • barrett808
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                      Okay, finally got it work exactly as I want it to, thanks Nikolai!
                      Unfortunately, my FO renderer (XSL Formatter by Antenna House)
                      doesn't seem to like these zero-width spaces. My name strings come
                      out as "L? a? s? t? N? a? m? e"

                      D'oh.

                    • Nikolai Grigoriev
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                        > Thank you, Nikolai. This looks promising, but I'm having problems
                        > making it work. Here's the code (slightly adapted) I'm using, and it
                        > basically just spits out the text content of the elements with a
                        > bunch of white space between them.

                        Hmm. For me, it worked in Saxon, XT, and Xalan after correcting several
                        evident misprints. Below is the full text of my testing stylesheet.

                        My guess: you have result indenting turned on. You need to insert

                        <xsl:output method="xml" indent="no"/>

                        at the top of your stylesheet, to limit XSLT processor's freedom
                        to rearrange white space.

                        Regards,
                        Nikolai

                        P.S. Here's what I used for test. It's identity transformation,
                        plus the template that I posted originally.

                        <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
                        <xsl:output method="xml" indent="no"/>

                        <!-- Everything but test nodes: identity transformation -->
                        <xsl:template match="/|*|@*|comment()|processing-instruction()">
                        <xsl:copy>
                        <xsl:apply-templates
                        select="*|@*|text()|comment()|processing-instruction()"/>
                        </xsl:copy>
                        </xsl:template>

                        <!-- Text nodes: intercalate with zwsp's -->
                        <xsl:template match="text()">
                        <xsl:call-template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
                        <xsl:with-param name="str" select="."/>
                        </xsl:call-template>
                        </xsl:template>

                        <!-- Actual intercalation: recursive -->
                        <xsl:template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
                        <xsl:param name="str"/>
                        <xsl:variable name="spacechars">

                             ​
                        </xsl:variable>

                        <xsl:if test="string-length($str) > 0">
                        <xsl:variable name="c1"
                        select="substring($str, 1, 1)"/>
                        <xsl:variable name="c2"
                        select="substring($str, 2, 1)"/>

                        <xsl:value-of select="$c1"/>
                        <xsl:if test="$c2 != '' and

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                          Hi,

                          > Ah, progress: taking out the mode="insert-zero-spaces" attribute from
                          > the first template gets me strings with embedded nonprintable
                          > characters, which is a lot closer. More to follow...

                          Two things:

                          1) my original post contained an error that still persists in your stylesheet:
                          the last character in each text node will be stripped. For fix, see my previous
                          mail;

                          2) I put it in a separate mode because I thought it should be applicable to
                          text only inside table cells. It is convenient to switch modes in these cases.

                          Regards,
                          Nikolai
                        • barrett808
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 7, 2001
                            I have Nikolai's code working just right for my purpose, and after
                            some hacking on my instance document, I can get XEP to render it. XEP
                            complains about xml:space, and spuriously complains about fo:page-
                            sequence needing master-name to be declared (it is), also doesn't
                            handle UTF-16 encoding. (Apache FOP complains about many basic FO
                            attributes being not-yet-implemented and produces completely screwed-
                            up output; XSL Formatter doesn't seem to understand zero-width
                            characters at all).

                            But after hacking my document to make XEP happy, what comes out is
                            suboptimal: it appears the zero-width space characters (Unicode 200B)
                            are being rendered as regular spaces. Same with the hair-width char
                            (200A).

                            So it appears I don't have a real solution. :(
                          • dvd@renderx.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 8, 2001

                              > I have Nikolai's code working just right for my purpose, and after
                              > some hacking on my instance document, I can get XEP to render it. XEP
                              > complains about xml:space, and spuriously complains about fo:page-
                              > sequence needing master-name to be declared (it is), also doesn't

                              This is a difference between the obsolete XSL FO C(andidate)R and
                              the current XSL FO Recommendation. In the Candidate fo:page-sequence
                              had attributed named 'master-name'. In the final Recommendation it
                              was renamed to 'master-reference'. The phrase 'master-name needs to be
                              declared for' means that it is not declared in the DTD the xml is being
                              validated against, as opposite to be DEFINED in the xml (xsl fo file)
                              itself.

                              The diagnostics means that master-name is NOT DECLARED In the DTD and
                              thus is not allowed in your XSL FO. Upgrade your stylesheets and
                              you'll get rid off the message.

                              > handle UTF-16 encoding.

                              This is not an issue with XEP. Any SAX XML parser may be plugged into,
                              thus just choose one that supports encodings you need.

                              > But after hacking my document to make XEP happy, what comes out is
                              > suboptimal: it appears the zero-width space characters (Unicode 200B)
                              > are being rendered as regular spaces. Same with the hair-width char
                              > (200A).

                              200A and 200b are rendered differently. 200b is just removed from the
                              output. 200b is used internally to mark places where line breaks are appropriate,
                              and if it looked like a space that would be obvious. It is not rendered.

                              David Tolpin