Re: forcing line breaks

  • shweenus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 4, 2001
      Not really sure if I understand you. You can try setting this
      attribute in your block object: linefeed-treatment="preserve" It will
      keep line breaks that are inside your block.

      --- In XSL-FO@y..., "Jim" <blackbox@b...> wrote:

      > Greetings, I'm trying to force a table column to wrap, and the text
      > (a proper name) potentially has no whitespace available for a nice
      > line break. Is there an attribute I can set to force a line break
      at
      > the end of the table column? The "hyphenate" and "hyphenate-keep"
      > attributes don't seem to do what I need...
      >
      > Thank you in advance,
      > Jim
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 4, 2001
        Okay, I've posted a file called "SCR1268.bmp" in the Files section.
        This illustrates the problem I'm having, and hopefully FO has a
        simple attribute or something I can set to fix it.

        Thanks again,
        Jim

        --- In XSL-FO@y..., shweenus@y... wrote:
        > Not really sure if I understand you. You can try setting this
        > attribute in your block object: linefeed-treatment="preserve" It
        will
        > keep line breaks that are inside your block.
        >
        > --- In XSL-FO@y..., "Jim" <blackbox@b...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Greetings, I'm trying to force a table column to wrap, and the
        text
        > > (a proper name) potentially has no whitespace available for a
        nice
        > > line break. Is there an attribute I can set to force a line break
        > at
        > > the end of the table column? The "hyphenate" and "hyphenate-keep"
        > > attributes don't seem to do what I need...
        > >
        > > Thank you in advance,
        > > Jim
      • shweenus
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001
          okay try this block attribute: wrap-option="wrap"

          --- In XSL-FO@y..., "Jim" <blackbox@b...> wrote:
          > Okay, I've posted a file called "SCR1268.bmp" in the Files section.
          > This illustrates the problem I'm having, and hopefully FO has a
          > simple attribute or something I can set to fix it.
          >
          > Thanks again,
          > Jim
          >
          > --- In XSL-FO@y..., shweenus@y... wrote:
          > > Not really sure if I understand you. You can try setting this
          > > attribute in your block object: linefeed-treatment="preserve" It
          > will
          > > keep line breaks that are inside your block.
          > >
          > > --- In XSL-FO@y..., "Jim" <blackbox@b...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Greetings, I'm trying to force a table column to wrap, and the
          > text
          > > > (a proper name) potentially has no whitespace available for a
          > nice
          > > > line break. Is there an attribute I can set to force a line
          break
          > > at
          > > > the end of the table column? The "hyphenate" and "hyphenate-
          keep"
          > > > attributes don't seem to do what I need...
          > > >
          > > > Thank you in advance,
          > > > Jim
        • barrett808
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001
            This doesn't seem to work, alas. Here's the relevant code snippet:

            <fo:table-body border-style="solid" border-width="thin">
            <xsl:for-each select="qtar:Patient">
            <fo:table-row>
            <fo:table-cell text-align="left" border-style="solid" border-
            width="thin" padding-before="1pt" padding-after="1pt" padding-
            start="1pt" padding-end="1pt">
            <fo:block wrap-option="wrap">
            <xsl:value-of select="@DisplayName"/>
            </fo:block>
            </fo:table-cell>

            I've also tried adding this attribute to enclosiong (parent) block
            elements, with no luck.

            Jim

          • dvd@renderx.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001
              > This doesn't seem to work, alas. Here's the relevant code snippet:
              >
              > <fo:table-body border-style="solid" border-width="thin">
              > <xsl:for-each select="qtar:Patient">
              > <fo:table-row>
              > <fo:table-cell text-align="left" border-style="solid" border-
              > width="thin" padding-before="1pt" padding-after="1pt" padding-
              > start="1pt" padding-end="1pt">
              > <fo:block wrap-option="wrap">
              > <xsl:value-of select="@DisplayName"/>
              > </fo:block>
              > </fo:table-cell>

              > I've also tried adding this attribute to enclosiong (parent) block
              > elements, with no luck.

              Attributes are of no use here. In XEP, you may add zero-width spaces
              wherever you want thus allowing line breaks. Just intersperse letters
              with zero-width spaces in all words inside table sells and the text
              will break right at the cells' edges.

              Sincerely,
              David Tolpin
              RenderX
            • barrett808
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001
                Thank you for the good tip, David. It's too late in our dev cycle to
                consider using a different renderer, and I'm getting the impression
                that there's no native FO solution.

                Anybody have other ideas? Or am I just up the creek w/o a paddle?

                --- In XSL-FO@y..., dvd@r... wrote:
                > Attributes are of no use here. In XEP, you may add zero-width spaces
                > wherever you want thus allowing line breaks. Just intersperse
                letters
                > with zero-width spaces in all words inside table sells and the text
                > will break right at the cells' edges.
                >
                > Sincerely,
                > David Tolpin
                > RenderX
              • David Cramer
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001
                  David,
                  Could you give an example of this technique? What's a zero-width space
                  and how do you intersperse them between letters in a given text node
                  with xsl?

                  Thanks,
                  David

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001

                    > Thank you for the good tip, David. It's too late in our dev cycle to
                    > consider using a different renderer, and I'm getting the impression
                    > that there's no native FO solution.
                    >
                    > Anybody have other ideas? Or am I just up the creek w/o a paddle?

                    Zero-width space IS a native FO solution. Zero-width space is a Unicode
                    character. An FO formatter is expected to be able to break lines on
                    zero-width spaces.

                    It is a deficiency of a formatter not to handle zero-width spaces
                    properly.

                    David Tolpin
                    RenderX
                  • barrett808
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001
                      Well, that just shows you how little I know about XSL...Is there some
                      convenient way to transform a text element to one with zero-width
                      spaces interspersed? Seems that would be a nifty transformation to
                      have in our toolkit.

                      --- In XSL-FO@y..., dvd@r... wrote:

                      > > Thank you for the good tip, David. It's too late in our dev cycle
                      > > consider using a different renderer, and I'm getting the
                      impression
                      > > that there's no native FO solution.
                      > >
                      > > Anybody have other ideas? Or am I just up the creek w/o a paddle?
                      >
                      > Zero-width space IS a native FO solution. Zero-width space is a
                      Unicode
                      > character. An FO formatter is expected to be able to break lines on
                      > zero-width spaces.
                      >
                      > It is a deficiency of a formatter not to handle zero-width spaces
                      > properly.
                      >
                      > David Tolpin
                      > RenderX
                    • Nikolai Grigoriev
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001

                        > Well, that just shows you how little I know about XSL...Is there some
                        > convenient way to transform a text element to one with zero-width
                        > spaces interspersed? Seems that would be a nifty transformation to
                        > have in our toolkit.

                        <xsl:template match="text()" mode="insert-zero-spaces">
                        <xsl:call-template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
                        <xsl:with-param name="str" select="."/>
                        </xsl:call-template>
                        </xsl:template>

                        <xsl:template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
                        <xsl:param name="str"/>
                        <xsl:variable name="spacechars">

                             ​
                        </xsl:variable>

                        <xsl:if test="string-length($str) > 1">
                        <xsl:variable name="c1" select="substring($str, 1, 1)/>
                        <xsl:variable name="c2" select="substring($str, 2, 1)/>

                        <xsl:value-of select="$c1"/>
                        <!-- Insert a zero-width space between any two non-space characters -->
                        <xsl:if test="not(contains($spacechars, $c1) or contains($spacechars,
                        $c2))">
                        <xsl:text>​</xsl:text>
                        </xsl:if>

                        <xsl:call-template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
                        <xsl:with-param name="str" select="substring($str, 2)"/>
                        </xsl:call-template>
                        </xsl:if>
                        </xsl:call-template>

                        Regards,

                        Nikolai Grigoriev
                        RenderX
                      • barrett808
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                          Thank you, Nikolai. This looks promising, but I'm having problems
                          making it work. Here's the code (slightly adapted) I'm using, and it
                          basically just spits out the text content of the elements with a
                          bunch of white space between them.

                          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
                          <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
                          xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">
                          <!-- This template sprinkles zero-width space characters in a
                          text element -->
[...]

                          <xsl:text>F</xsl:text>
                          <!-- </xsl:if> -->
                          <xsl:call-template name="intersperse-with-
                          zero-spaces">
                          <xsl:with-param name="str"
                          select="substring($str, 2)"/>
                          </xsl:call-template>
                          </xsl:if>
                          </xsl:template>
                          </xsl:stylesheet>

                          --- In XSL-FO@y..., "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@r...> wrote:
                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > > Well, that just shows you how little I know about XSL...Is there
                          some
                          > > convenient way to transform a text element to one with zero-width
                          > > spaces interspersed? Seems that would be a nifty transformation to
                          > > have in our toolkit.
                          >
                          > <xsl:template match="text()" mode="insert-zero-spaces">
                          > <xsl:call-template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
                          > <xsl:with-param name="str" select="."/>
                          > </xsl:call-template>
                          > </xsl:template>
                          >
                          > <xsl:template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
                          > <xsl:param name="str"/>
                          > <xsl:variable name="spacechars">
                          >

                          >      ​
                          > </xsl:variable>
                          >
                          > <xsl:if test="string-length($str) > 1">
                          > <xsl:variable name="c1" select="substring($str, 1, 1)/>
                          > <xsl:variable name="c2" select="substring($str, 2, 1)/>
                          >
                          > <xsl:value-of select="$c1"/>
                          > <!-- Insert a zero-width space between any two non-space
                          characters -->
                          > <xsl:if test="not(contains($spacechars, $c1) or contains
                          ($spacechars,
                          > $c2))">
                          > <xsl:text>​</xsl:text>
                          > </xsl:if>
                          >
                          > <xsl:call-template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
                          > <xsl:with-param name="str" select="substring($str, 2)"/>
                          > </xsl:call-template>
                          > </xsl:if>
                          > </xsl:call-template>
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > Nikolai Grigoriev
                          > RenderX
                        • barrett808

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                              Ah, progress: taking out the mode="insert-zero-spaces" attribute from
                              the first template gets me strings with embedded nonprintable
                              characters, which is a lot closer. More to follow...

                            • barrett808
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                                Okay, finally got it work exactly as I want it to, thanks Nikolai!
                                Unfortunately, my FO renderer (XSL Formatter by Antenna House)
                                doesn't seem to like these zero-width spaces. My name strings come
                                out as "L? a? s? t? N? a? m? e"

                                D'oh.

                              • Nikolai Grigoriev
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                                  > Thank you, Nikolai. This looks promising, but I'm having problems
                                  > making it work. Here's the code (slightly adapted) I'm using, and it
                                  > basically just spits out the text content of the elements with a
                                  > bunch of white space between them.

                                  Hmm. For me, it worked in Saxon, XT, and Xalan after correcting several
                                  evident misprints. Below is the full text of my testing stylesheet.

                                  My guess: you have result indenting turned on. You need to insert

                                  <xsl:output method="xml" indent="no"/>

                                  at the top of your stylesheet, to limit XSLT processor's freedom
                                  to rearrange white space.

                                  Regards,
                                  Nikolai

                                  P.S. Here's what I used for test. It's identity transformation,
                                  plus the template that I posted originally.

                                  <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
                                  <xsl:output method="xml" indent="no"/>

                                  <!-- Everything but test nodes: identity transformation -->
                                  <xsl:template match="/|*|@*|comment()|processing-instruction()">
                                  <xsl:copy>
                                  <xsl:apply-templates
                                  select="*|@*|text()|comment()|processing-instruction()"/>
                                  </xsl:copy>
                                  </xsl:template>

                                  <!-- Text nodes: intercalate with zwsp's -->
                                  <xsl:template match="text()">
                                  <xsl:call-template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
                                  <xsl:with-param name="str" select="."/>
                                  </xsl:call-template>
                                  </xsl:template>

                                  <!-- Actual intercalation: recursive -->
                                  <xsl:template name="intersperse-with-zero-spaces">
                                  <xsl:param name="str"/>
                                  <xsl:variable name="spacechars">

                                       ​
                                  </xsl:variable>

                                  <xsl:if test="string-length($str) > 0">
                                  <xsl:variable name="c1"
                                  select="substring($str, 1, 1)"/>
                                  <xsl:variable name="c2"
                                  select="substring($str, 2, 1)"/>

                                  <xsl:value-of select="$c1"/>
                                  <xsl:if test="$c2 != '' and

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001

                                    > Ah, progress: taking out the mode="insert-zero-spaces" attribute from
                                    > the first template gets me strings with embedded nonprintable
                                    > characters, which is a lot closer. More to follow...

                                    Two things:

                                    1) my original post contained an error that still persists in your stylesheet:
                                    the last character in each text node will be stripped. For fix, see my previous
                                    mail;

                                    2) I put it in a separate mode because I thought it should be applicable to
                                    text only inside table cells. It is convenient to switch modes in these cases.

                                    Regards,
                                    Nikolai
                                  • barrett808
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 7, 2001
                                      I have Nikolai's code working just right for my purpose, and after
                                      some hacking on my instance document, I can get XEP to render it. XEP
                                      complains about xml:space, and spuriously complains about fo:page-
                                      sequence needing master-name to be declared (it is), also doesn't
                                      handle UTF-16 encoding. (Apache FOP complains about many basic FO
                                      attributes being not-yet-implemented and produces completely screwed-
                                      up output; XSL Formatter doesn't seem to understand zero-width
                                      characters at all).

                                      But after hacking my document to make XEP happy, what comes out is
                                      suboptimal: it appears the zero-width space characters (Unicode 200B)
                                      are being rendered as regular spaces. Same with the hair-width char
                                      (200A).

                                      So it appears I don't have a real solution. :(
                                    • dvd@renderx.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 8, 2001

                                        > I have Nikolai's code working just right for my purpose, and after
                                        > some hacking on my instance document, I can get XEP to render it. XEP
                                        > complains about xml:space, and spuriously complains about fo:page-
                                        > sequence needing master-name to be declared (it is), also doesn't

                                        This is a difference between the obsolete XSL FO C(andidate)R and
                                        the current XSL FO Recommendation. In the Candidate fo:page-sequence
                                        had attributed named 'master-name'. In the final Recommendation it
                                        was renamed to 'master-reference'. The phrase 'master-name needs to be
                                        declared for' means that it is not declared in the DTD the xml is being
                                        validated against, as opposite to be DEFINED in the xml (xsl fo file)
                                        itself.

                                        The diagnostics means that master-name is NOT DECLARED In the DTD and
                                        thus is not allowed in your XSL FO. Upgrade your stylesheets and
                                        you'll get rid off the message.

                                        > handle UTF-16 encoding.

                                        This is not an issue with XEP. Any SAX XML parser may be plugged into,
                                        thus just choose one that supports encodings you need.

                                        > But after hacking my document to make XEP happy, what comes out is
                                        > suboptimal: it appears the zero-width space characters (Unicode 200B)
                                        > are being rendered as regular spaces. Same with the hair-width char
                                        > (200A).

                                        200A and 200b are rendered differently. 200b is just removed from the
                                        output. 200b is used internally to mark places where line breaks are appropriate,
                                        and if it looked like a space that would be obvious. It is not rendered.

                                        David Tolpin