Re: [XSL-FO] Re:Would anyone find a Word to XSL-FO converter useful?

  • Bertrand Delacretaz
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
      On Monday 03 December 2001 14:29, Ed Howland wrote:
      > Is it possible to import the word document into StarOffice, save that using
      > SO's native XML file format and use an XSLT stylesheet to transform it into
      > FO?

      SO's native XML format is open and documented (actually it's a ZIP archive
      containing XML and other formats), so this is doable.

      Another option is to save as RTF and use an RTF-to-XML converter (upCast,
      logitran, majix, probably others).

      --
      -- Bertrand Delacrétaz, www.codeconsult.ch
      -- web technologies consultant - OO, Java, XML, C++
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
        One of the things I find useful about the OpenOffice/StarOffice xml is that
        it seperates out your word metadata into a metadata.xml. I have my doubts if
        other products will do that at, least efficiently. another good thing is
        that it supports dublin core(no rdf as of yet, at least in word) so one
        could add to the metadata with already familiar syntax/tools/code.
        As I remarked earlier it would probably be best as a chained transformation,
        since the xml format star office uses includes a lot of internal references.
        I've found that can get sort of hairy to work with in one go.