Re: Would anyone find a Word to XSL-FO converter useful?

  • shweenus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2001
      It converts HTML created from Word int FO. Unfortunately, it doesn't
      work on the actual native Word format.

      --- In XSL-FO@y..., Eric Smith <eric@a...> wrote:
      > Here is an existing one:
      >
      > http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/fabgia/wh2fo/download.html
      >
      > According to shweenus@y... on Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:06:25PM -
      0000:
      > > I have been working on a Word 97, 2000, XP document to XSL-FO
      > > converter. Would anyone find this to be useful? I am wondering
      > > because I've reached a point where I am beginning to wonder if
      it is
      > > worth the frustration.
      > >
      > > Right now my converter will do everything EXCEPT footnotes, text
      boxes
      > > (not sure if xsl-fo even supports this), graphics, annotations,
      > > comments, bookmarks, and Form fields.
      > >
      > > Originally, I thought it would be a good way to learn XSL-FO.
      Just
      > > trying to get some feedback before I go any further with this.
      By the

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > --
      > Eric Smith - currently using xalan and fop on linux
    • Bryan Rasmussen
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
        I wonder which would be easier, a Word to XSL-FO converter, or an xsl-t to
        convert OpenOffice 6.0 .sxw files into

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
          I'm wondering which would be easier, a Word to XSL-FO converter, or an xsl-t
          chained transformation that converts the OpenOffice 6.0 .sxw formats
          content.xml into a (pure) XSL-FO? I've noticed the fo namespace is
          referenced in the root node, although it's only used for some things, such

        • roj@novosoft.ru
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
            Do you want to convert from doc format or rtf? RTF to FO convertor already
            exists. It is written in Java. You can download it from

            http://rtf2fo.novosoft-us.com/index.html

            Best regards, Alex

            01.12.2001 04:06:25 shweenus wrote:
            >I have been working on a Word 97, 2000, XP document to XSL-FO
            >converter. Would anyone find this to be useful? I am wondering
            >because I've reached a point where I am beginning to wonder if it is
            >worth the frustration.
            >
            >Right now my converter will do everything EXCEPT footnotes, text boxes
            >(not sure if xsl-fo even supports this), graphics, annotations,
            >comments, bookmarks, and Form fields.
            >
            >Originally, I thought it would be a good way to learn XSL-FO. Just
            >trying to get some feedback before I go any further with this. By the
            >way it is written in pure java.
            >
            >Ryan

          • Ed Howland
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
              We would find this useful if it supported WYSIWYG table creation. Also, at
              least importing graphics from external files would be useful.

              There is a similar project at:
              WH2FO:
              http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/fabgia/wh2fo/wh2fo.html

              It takes word formatted HTML and translates it to FO. But I couldn't get it to
              work for my tables project.

              Is it possible to import the word document into StarOffice, save that using
              SO's native XML file format and use an XSLT stylesheet to transform it into FO?

              Ed

              --- XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              > There are 5 messages in this issue.
              >
              > Topics in this digest:
              >
              > 1. Re: Using Cocoon
              > From: "Olivier Collioud" <olivier.collioud@...>
              > 2. .mif transformations working?
              > From: peter.drivas@...
              > 3. RE: .mif transformations working?
              > From: "Anders Svensson" <asn@...>
              > 4. Would anyone find a Word to XSL-FO converter useful?
              > From: shweenus@...
              > 5. RE: Would anyone find a Word to XSL-FO converter useful?
              > From: "Joel Schonbrunn" <joel@...>

              > Message: 1
              > Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:04:11 +0100
              > From: "Olivier Collioud" <olivier.collioud@...>
              > Subject: Re: Using Cocoon
              >

              > For production you'd better use Cocoon 2.0 amd Tomcat 4.0.

              > Message: 2
              > Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:31:40 -0000
              > From: peter.drivas@...
              > Subject: .mif transformations working?
              >
              > Has anyone tried to convert to .mif format with FOP-0.20.2? Does it
              > work? I attempted to convert simple.fo from the /docs/examples/fo
              > directory and got:
              >
              > fop simple.fo -mif simple.mif
              > [INFO]: FOP 0.20.2
              > [INFO]: building formatting object tree
              > [INFO]: rendering areas to MIF
              > [INFO]: [1]
              > [ERROR]: null
              >
              > All other formats work fine. Please let me know if this should be
              > working.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Peter

              > Message: 3
              > Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 22:30:20 +0100
              > From: "Anders Svensson" <asn@...>
              > Subject: RE: .mif transformations working?
              >
              > I know that it works, because I played around with it once and got it
              > working enough to create a mif file with contents. But I don't know how
              > well it works, because I never went on to try to do any serious
              > formatting etc.
              >
              > /Anders Svensson

              === message truncated ===

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • Bertrand Delacretaz
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
                On Monday 03 December 2001 14:29, Ed Howland wrote:
                > Is it possible to import the word document into StarOffice, save that using
                > SO's native XML file format and use an XSLT stylesheet to transform it into
                > FO?

                SO's native XML format is open and documented (actually it's a ZIP archive
                containing XML and other formats), so this is doable.

                Another option is to save as RTF and use an RTF-to-XML converter (upCast,
                logitran, majix, probably others).

                --
                -- Bertrand Delacrétaz, www.codeconsult.ch
                -- web technologies consultant - OO, Java, XML, C++
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
                  One of the things I find useful about the OpenOffice/StarOffice xml is that
                  it seperates out your word metadata into a metadata.xml. I have my doubts if
                  other products will do that at, least efficiently. another good thing is
                  that it supports dublin core(no rdf as of yet, at least in word) so one
                  could add to the metadata with already familiar syntax/tools/code.
                  As I remarked earlier it would probably be best as a chained transformation,
                  since the xml format star office uses includes a lot of internal references.
                  I've found that can get sort of hairy to work with in one go.