Images in PDF using FOP

  • Anders Svensson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2001
      Hi!

      I'm pretty new at using FO and FOP. I'm now trying to make screenshots
      (GIF format, but I've tried TIF and BMP as well) look good in the
      resulting PDF files generated with FOP. However, there seems to be some
      problem generating high-resolution images. No matter what resolution I
      try (usually 300 dpi), the image comes out too large (as if it had been
      changed to 72 dpi).

      Does anyone know why this happens? Doesn't FOP support resolutions
      higher than 72 dpi, and if so, how can you generate images? Since the
      purpose of FOP is to generate printed material (pdf) I have a hard time
      believing it is not possible to generate high-resolution images...

      Any help appreciated!

      Regards,

      Anders Svensson
    • dunsterj <dunster@byu.edu>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
        I noticed a post in the archives (#1058) that posed this question
        earlier, but there weren't any reponses. Being a year and a half
        later, I'm posing the question again. Does anyone know why there is a
        72dpi limit on images processed in FOP? Are there any plans to remove
        that limit? Do any of you know some workarounds that will produce high
        resolution images in the resulting PDF?
      • Oleg Tkachenko
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
          dunsterj wrote:
          > I noticed a post in the archives (#1058) that posed this question
          > earlier, but there weren't any reponses. Being a year and a half
          > later, I'm posing the question again. Does anyone know why there is a
          > 72dpi limit on images processed in FOP?
          What do you mean "why"? That's well-known current FOP version limitation.

          Are there any plans to remove
          > that limit?
          Yes, FOP1.0 won't have such a limitation, but don't ask me when it'll be
          ready.

          Do any of you know some workarounds that will produce high
          > resolution images in the resulting PDF?
          Search in fop-user mail list archive, there were some discussion and tricks.

          --
          Oleg Tkachenko
          eXperanto team