7382Re: [XSL-FO] General question about XML Schemas

  • Eliot Kimber
    May 1, 2007
      mina_hurray wrote:

      > Hi all:
      >
      > This is just a general question about XML schemas. I was trying to
      > analyse the impact of changing an existing schema. My analysis says
      > that any schema change will of course affect the style sheets,
      > XQueries, input data and any java interfaces that may be linked to the
      > XML input.
      > Is there anything that I may have missed? I am looking at the experts
      > to help me analyze this scenario, Any input will be highly appreciated.

      In addition to the documents themselves, any process that depends on the
      specific structure of the documents may be affected by a change to the
      schema. That would include the things you've listed, as well as editor
      customizations, browsers, and so forth.

      And of course it is possible to change schemas in ways that don't affect
      the structure of instances.

      It's also important to remember that it's the content of the instances
      that ultimately matter, not what the schema says. That is, if the schema
      allows A or B or C but the instances never actually have C in them, the
      fact that the schema allows it is irrelevant to processors, because
      they'll never see a C.

      Cheers,

      Eliot

      --