      From: XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com [mailto:XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of G. Ken Holman
      Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 6:16 PM
      To: XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [XSL-FO] Navigation on XSL-FO

      I see Nicola did something similar to what we did in our XSLT
      XSL-FO PDF books that we sell off our web site, but in our case
      put the 26 letters of the alphabet in the footer and hyperlinked
      individual character to that part of the index at the back of
      book. Every page number is also hyperlinked to that page, and
      in the
      XSL-FO book most references to formatting objects and properties
      themselves hyperlinks to the summary page about that formatting
      object or the property summary entry.

      We also created external hyperlinks of every reference to a
      of the specification document to the actual section of the
      specification document on the web ... thus, when you want more
      details about a formatting object or a property and you see the
      specification section number you click on the section number and
      pops up a web window and jumps you directly to the beginning of
      that section.

      The PDF becomes an index into the web document (or the entire
      web for
      that matter!).

      There are freely downloadable excerpts of both books that you
      download and see what we did with hyperlinks ... go to the
      "Books &
      free excerpts" link from our home page linked in our trailer
      below. Jump to the last page (the title page isn't linked),
      jump to
      a letter, check out a property value, then jump to the
      section number.

      With <fo:basic-link> you just need to imagine what kinds of
      navigation you want your users to experience.

      As for showing only one item per page, you could either put each
      into its own page sequence, or you could use break-before= or
      break-after= properties.

      I hope this helps.

      . . . . . . . . . . Ken

      At 2006-01-09 15:03 +0000, Nicola Harlow wrote:
      >In our documentation we provide a simple link in the header
      back to the
      >So just create a ref at the TOC, then link back.
      >The object for the link we use is actually our company logo,
      which I
      >admit is a bit hidden. But this can be explained if you have
      'how to use
      >this document' help, or you could add a simple logo/text that
      >the link. Saves all that scrolling, and it's subtle...
      >If you click on the footer you go to the index... ;)

      inconvenient. Does
      >anyone know how to do this? Will appreciate any suggestions.
      >Also is there a way to show only 1 item per page?

      Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Denver,CO March
      World-wide on-site corporate, govt. & user group XML/XSL
      G. Ken Holman
      Crane Softwrights Ltd.
      Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999
      Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05
      Legal business disclaimers:

      Xml xsl
      &w4=Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=XF6UjxdQ2tCRItr3yU3rRA> Xsl
      Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=Td1defu0WlhAUIEcVSI4yA> Xsl fo
      Xsl tutorial

      * Visit your group "XSL-FO
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XSL-FO> " on the web.

      Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, copying of , or any action taken in reliance upon, it is strictly prohibited and may be illegal.