7063Re: [XSL-FO] Why XSL-FO? Any WYSIWYG tools?

  • Peter Wu
    Dec 23, 2005
      ...well, actually, you can by writing an export macro.
      I've done it. The problem that I encountered is
      keeping OO resident in memory for a long period of
      time (2 hours or more). After a while, it sort of goes
      to sleep and I can't wake it up without killing the
      process and restarting it which also can be done
      automatically although not elegantly.

      The main question on my mind is why simply not publish
      the document in editable ODF format? Why export out to
      PDF at all?

      --- Andreas Jung <lists@...> wrote:

      > --On 23. Dezember 2005 08:55:32 -0800 Peter Wu
      > <peterlwu@...> wrote:
      > >>
      > > Why not write my data out to ODF, let the users
      > change
      > > it and reformat it any way they like using an open
      > > source tool like OpenOffice.org and then export it
      > > PDF (or any other format) using the export filters
      > > built right into the tool?
      > >
      > If you want to generate output without manual
      > interaction you can't use
      > Openoffice. Our tests have shown that Openoffice is
      > not designed to work
      > automatically in the background.
      > -aj
      > removed]