3076Re: [XSL-FO] Single XSL for both pdf and html

  • Kurt Cagle
    Mar 6, 2003
      Actually I agree with the last -- there's no reason why you couldn't write an
      XSLT that generates to XSL-FO or XHTML depending upon a modal switch,
      something along the lines of:

      <xsl:param name="target" select="'XSL-FO'"/>

      <xsl:template match="/">
      <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="target='XSL-FO' ">
      <xsl:apply-templates select="*" mode="xslfo"/>
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="*" mode="xhtml"/>
      </xsl:otherwise>
      </xsl:choose>
      </xsl:template>

      This makes more sense in XSLT2, where you might be generating a result
      document as a secondary stream, but there are ample precedents for doing
      this.

      -- Kurt

      On Thursday 06 March 2003 01:26 pm, Klaas_Bals@... wrote:
      > >> Hi All,
      > >>
      > >> Is it possible to write single xsl which produces output in both pdf
      > >> and html.
      > >
      > >An analogy of what you're asking would perhaps be to ask:
      > >
      > >"I have two white doors that need painting, one needs to be green and the
      > >other red. Is it possible to buy one single can of paint for me to use?"
      >
      > I'm sorry. I don't agree that this is a trivial question. I would be
      > possible to generate XHTML from an XSL-FO document. If they can create
      > text and rtf, XHTML is also possible!
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic