3044Re: [XSL-FO] UCC.EAN XML schema to FO

    Mar 2, 2003
      (This is a repeated post of my two answers to Eric on the Mulberry list, as
      I think they might be of interest to members of this list; I encourage any
      OASIS members interested in participating to contact me)

      At 2003-03-02 20:12 +0100, Eric Smith wrote:
      >Has anyone worked on converting the UCC.EAN xml schema
      >or ebXML schema to format object?

      I'm assuming here you mean XSLT stylesheets to take ebXML instances to HTML
      for the web and XSL-FO for print. Yes, Crane Softwrights has publicly
      released a fledgling XSLT library for HTML and XSL-FO for the seven UBL
      document types (follow the "Resource Library" link from our home page
      linked in my trailer) under the modified BSD license so it can be freely
      used by only maintaining the original copyright.

      The "schemas for ebXML" ... which are the payload e-commerce messages that
      are sent back and forth across ebXML ... are the purview of the UBL committee:

      http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl

      In the last few weeks the UBL committee released candidate schemas (version
      0.70) for a three-month review period:

      http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/lcsc/0p70

      Feedback instructions are on that page for anyone to comment on the work
      completed to date.

      >Alternatively does
      >anyone have an interest in becoming involved in a
      >project to create a "standard" XSLT library for this
      >purpose?

      I don't think you'll ever see a "standard" XSLT library ... but I am
      pushing very hard for a technology-agnostic "standard set of formatting
      specifications" that could be (and have been by us) implemented in XSLT or
      in any other presentation technology. You can see the (very!) draft work at:

      http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/lcsc/0p70/fs

      All of the sample HTML and PDF files in this directory were created using
      Crane's UBL XSLT stylesheet library for HTML and XSL-FO. The UBL review
      download includes a frozen copy of Crane's library as of the start of the
      review period ... but we intend to keep our site copy up to date as changes
      are made (none yet, probably some coming up this week) and we may soon have
      something for XForms.

      Ambrosoft Inc. is supporting this UBL effort by freely releasing executable
      JAR versions of Crane's stylesheet library.

      A new subcommittee of UBL is in the process of being formed to develop
      these specifications as OASIS standards. Participation in the subcommittee
      is restricted to OASIS members, though the final work products are freely
      usable. Again, the specifications will be technology-agnostic and the
      committee will foster any and all implementations of the specifications in
      any technology by cataloguing known implementations for visitors to the
      subcommittee site.

      If you are not already an OASIS member, I encourage you to join in order to
      become part of the subcommittee ... we would love to have your input! We
      are trying to create the initial slate of members right now.

      I'm putting myself forward as the chair of the subcommittee (though I would
      welcome someone else to volunteer for chair as I'm supposed to be
      simplifying my life right now and resigning from committees) ... any OASIS
      members interested in participating are invited to contact me directly and
      I'll bring you up to speed with our preliminary status.

      I sincerely hope there will be many and varied implementations of these
      formatting specifications ... I look forward to seeing your efforts!

      --
      Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO
      North America: June 16-20, 2003

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO