2168Common sense vs. verbatim interpretation of the specification

    Aug 23, 2002
      At 2002-08-13 01:45 +0500, David Tolpin wrote:
      >this problem is not the only one in the current Recommendation.
      >
      >The fact that common sense contradicts with the word of the document
      >should not draw implementors from following the XSL FO Recommendation;
      >the path of common sense leads to troubles way mor often than it seems
      >it does.

      Yet some implementations choose to not do property inheritance "through"
      certain constructs, such as footnotes, which I understand the specification
      requires.

      For example, if I have a footnote in an indented block, then the blocks of
      the footnote inherit that indent and the footnote must reset the indent to
      ensure the block isn't indented at the bottom of the page.

      Two commercial implementations that are available right now produce
      different results because of the choices of "common sense" vs. "verbatim
      interpretation of the specification".

      >If the spec means that basic-link should propagate hot areas to all
      >_contained_ areas, not just to _containing_ ones, then it should
      >be worded as such,

      Yet so many in the industry are expecting the entire contents of the basic
      link to be hot (i.e. the contained areas) and not just the basic link (i.e.
      the containing area).

      Can someone on the XSL committee comment on whether the basic-link
      controversy is perhaps an erratum that hasn't yet been published?

      Thanks!

      --
      Upcoming hands-on in-depth 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSL-FO:
      - North America: Sep 30-Oct 4,2002

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 1-894049-07-1 Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
      XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books (electronic, printed),
      articles, training (instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
      Next public training: 2002-08-26,27,09-30,10-03,07,10,12-08
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic