Psychological torture

  • ravenvew
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2005
      I heard an interview from a Mennonite woman. She was describing the
      practice of "shunning" as a kind of psychological torture. I guess it
      was the cruel isolation. A spouse wasn't even allowed to talk or sleep
      with the shunned family member. I wonder how often this type of thing
      is encouraged in eckankar.

      Blue
    • syncho0
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2005
        Hello Blue,

        my experience with eckankar is that this type of shunning
        is very common, especially if you ask too many questions. You start
        getting these hyper critical stares, you know the ones with the
        knitted eyebrows raised and eyes bugged out and a slight frown, like
        you are stupid or something for not understanding what is supposedly
        obvious. It's really kind of juvinile when you think about it. If
        there is a disagreement of some kind then you get snubbed. It's just
        another form behavior control of course. You would think that if they
        had the whole truuth and nothing but the truth they would not be so
        defensive.

        It was usually the H.I.'s that had the attitude. I remember many a
        class with the authoritarian stare and they would become less social
        with you and make you the outsider and at the same time claim to be
        free and individualistic, except you had to believe in the living
        master, or else. It's all so typical of absolutist religions. I don't
        understand why ecks feel like they have to put everything in one basket.

        I've been checking out the archives and boy are they really messed up
        with all those deletions. sometimes you can follow a thread, but other
        times you can't figure out who said what. Too bad, there was probably
        a lot of good information. Did anyone keep a copy? Maybe there would
        be a way to sift through it and get the best parts. I wish it hadn't
        been done in such a dishonest way. Whoever did it is probably just
        acting out of insecurity. I agree however, they shouldn't take it out
        on other people, but when you leave a cult it is easy to feel paranoid.

        But, with all the eckan groups out there, I think it is a good idea to
        have an opposing voice. I would hate to see this group or groups like
        Eckankar Truth be deleted or somethng. They serve a very useful and
        ethical purpose. It's kind of like "Buyer Beware". THere's nothing
        wrong with having a good debate. If you can't do that, then run, run,
        run! There really are chains in a way when there are all these subtle
        and not so subtle threats for not believing or for leaving.

        I think the days of organized absolutist religion are numbered. Does
        anyone have a copy of John Lennons song "Imagine".

        Be Free to Be

        Syncho

        P.S. I notice that a common attack on any detractor is to label them
        as "sad", "angry", "bitter" or "hateful", but of course this could
        never be true of their behavior. Don't take it to heart, it's just
        the same old crap. They also are quite good at dishing it out, but
        can't seem to take even the slightest reprimand for their behavior.

        --- In X-Eckankar_The-Chains-of-Eck@yahoogroups.com, "ravenvew"