What does it take to leave a Cult?

  • tygerpurr
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2009
      http://truthabouteckankar.blogspot.com/

      Good blog, exposing the bullshit

      Monday, June 4, 2007
      Check your ego at the door: The only way to see the way out of eckankar
      The ego shouldn't be underestimated in its power to keep you in a
      state of inertia when it comes to eckankar. I speak from experience.
      If you can check your ego at the door you'll have a better chance at
      seeing eckankar for what it is and finding your way out.
    • jonathanjohns96
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2009
        tigerpurr,

        I agree with you. I read the first page consisting of a few
        paragraphs about the ego right before I left Eckankar, and again,
        some time after that. I was very impressed with what he said on that
        first page. They really stated things beautifully. Really concise but
        they really said a lot, echoing my feelings exactly.

        Another really good quote from the same small article on the ego:

        "The hardest thing for most people is to question eckankar once
        they've committed to it, especially after a number of years. You've
        got too much invested — friendships, habits, ways of thinking, belief
        systems and even part of your personal lexicon. Your identity becomes
        attached to these ideas that are adopted as your own. Thus, you can
        be a part of a big lie and self deception because your ego just won't
        let go. You're too close to the problem to recognize it. You become
        entirely defensive. You defend the lies, the plagiarisms, the
        accusations, the contradictions and the injustices of eckanar as if
        they are all an attack on you personally."

        I didn't really spend a lot of time defending Eckankar before I left.
        But I can still identify with what this person says because I have to
        admit that this was my knee-jerk reaction to people speaking badly
        about it.

        Again, very eloquent writing by this person. I wish I could write
        that well.

        Jonathan

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2009
          Very good post. The ego keeps you in check for self preservation. Ego
          is not a bad word. It is essential to our life on this planet.

          Alf
          --- In X-Eckankar_The-Chains-of-Eck@yahoogroups.com, tygerpurr

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18, 2009
            Good point Al. I think the quote about checking your ego at the door
            in order to escape eckankar, is referring to egoism or hubris, the
            inability to admit that you have made a mistake. Another way of
            putting it, is the False Self that is created in Cults like eckankar,
            one totally looses touch with reality, living an "As If" life. In
            fact, the wrong use of the word ego in eckankar, may do a lot to
            brainwash members into not questioning their leaders. Note that Klemp
            has stated that the cause of H.I.'s leaving eckankar is due to Ego.
            Ego in the right sense means a healthy Ego, in which one can stand up
            to a Con and say NO!

            Tygerpurr ; )

            --- In X-Eckankar_The-Chains-of-Eck@yahoogroups.com, "al_radzik"
            <al_radzik@...> wrote:

            > Very good post. The ego keeps you in check for self preservation. Ego
            > is not a bad word. It is essential to our life on this planet.
            >
            > Alf
            > --- In X-Eckankar_The-Chains-of-Eck@yahoogroups.com, tygerpurr
            > <no_reply@> wrote:
            > >
            > > http://truthabouteckankar.blogspot.com/
            > >
            > > Good blog, exposing the bullshit
            > >
            > > Monday, June 4, 2007
            > > Check your ego at the door: The only way to see the way out of
            > eckankar
            > > The ego shouldn't be underestimated in its power to keep you in a
            > > state of inertia when it comes to eckankar. I speak from experience.
            > > If you can check your ego at the door you'll have a better chance at
            > > seeing eckankar for what it is and finding your way out.

          • harrisonferrel
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 26, 2009
              This is so well stated. What does it take? For me it took really
              wanting to know the truth. So when something sounded strange I did my
              own research. This led me to the pack of lies and deceptions and
              contradictions inherent in Eckankar. It wasn't easy to leave because I
              was looking for the truth, not some bullshit promises that spewed out
              of Klemp's malicious, duplicitous mouth. Also, you can't be afraid or
              superstitious. Klemp and Twitchell were big on threats. They were
              veiled threats, but they are found throughout their talks and
              teachings. If I saw one of these guys on the street, I'd take them out
              for what they have done to people. Too many people in Eckankar are
              full of self doubt and want love and peace. The latter may be okay,
              but it also opens the door to the types who run cults and are looking
              for lazy, ignorant, uninformed, pushovers. I have nothing but contempt
              for Klemp and what he does. He should be in prison. If you read enough
              Joseph Campbell and you stop rationalizing everything, you can leave
              without a problem.