Suck Eggs: PT's Poverty Consciousness

  • tomleafeater
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2007
      I became a member in the Southern California area, which really
      was the area that was the genesis of eckankar. In those early
      years, Gail Twitchell's sunusu multi level marketing began, with
      one of the first meetings, as I recall, at the Laguna Beach Eck
      Center, led in part by Gail, herself. My area representative sold
      the stuff, and Eckists like Ron Lavaneri was a sunusu bigwig,
      and heavily pushed the stuff on all of us, trying to get all the
      eckists selling the stuff. I sold the stuff for awhile.

      As I see it, there has always been an opportunistic flair in
      Eckankar. In various areas in which I lived, there was always
      some activity going on, often with some H.I.'s involved, that
      involved some MLS scheme or another. The term "poverty
      consciousness" became a term that was bandied about many
      years ago. As I recall, Klemp has used the term. This term is
      used by a lot of spiritual new age groups. In eckankar, this is
      nothing new.

      PT wrote, "Those in poverty, are those who have received without
      giving."

      So, those in poverty are working out their karma, so of course,
      they deserve no compromise or compassion from the wealthy, in
      Eckankar teachings.

      Thus, the shunning of the poor in Eckankar. No mention is
      made of all those in poor countries who are exploited so that
      American corporations can continue supplying goods at very low
      prices to Americans, so that Americans can continue to enjoy
      their high standard of living. Apparently, if one takes Eckankar
      doctrine seriously, most people in the world took a great deal
      without giving, in their past lives, considering how much poverty
      there is in the world.

      But apparently it is just fine for Americans (including the average
      Eckists) to take the labor of those in other countries for a few
      cents a day, so that they can have nice nick nacks from Wall Mart
      to clutter their homes with. And how many would want to pay
      more for those items in order to GIVE to those whose products
      they're taking for less than the market value. Aren't all Americans
      taking without giving? Yet this is not at all the kind of thing one
      can state within Eckankar circles. So much for karma. Go figure...

      PT and Klemp also have stated blacks are serving out their
      karma for misdeeds in other lives. Horsepucky. PT/Klemp have
      no idea what karma any one has had in other lives. They
      obviously can't read soul records (wrote about this before, so I
      won't repeat this). This is racism. For crying out loud, would not
      the slavers have earned karma for enslaving the blacks? Yet
      PT/Klemp say nothing about that. Karma is a one way street for
      PT and Klemp. Karma is made to fit what serves and justifies
      their particular values (i.e., PT's Southern values, Klemp's
      Midwestern values, or what is known as the Protestant Work
      Ethic). So blacks deserve to be poor, they earned it. Okay, again,
      don't the Southern slave owners deserve some karma for
      enslaving blacks? Apparently not, in PT's mind, since he made
      no mention of that, despite opening up the topic with his remarks
      about blacks.

      And white poor people are suffering from their karma, as well.
      What is ignored is that there will always be people at the bottom
      who are too ignorant to stand up for themselves, and are used
      by the big corporations of the world as slightly more than slave
      labor. Wages are at the lowest in terms of real worth than they
      have been for some 40 years. Do the big corps incur karma?
      Apparently not, since PT/HK say nothing about this, other than to
      denounce welfare and social security.

      So, this idea of "poverty consciousness," despite whatever merit
      there may be to the notion, is being used to justify exploitation
      and opportunism. And it reflects the Protestant Christian
      upbringing of PT/HK. And despite the wealth, Americans are, as
      minimalist David Thoreou phrased so well, "living lives of quiet
      desperation." They are overweight, depressed, often suffering
      from what are called "diseases of civilization," have nothing
      better to do than worry about the latest "American Idol," they
      arrogantly look upon other countries as inferior, all the while
      drinking coca kola by the gallons.

      Poverty consciousness, indeed. If this sort of wealth reflects
      spirituality, PT/HK can go suck eggs.

      One can be very "spiritual" despite not having amassed wealth.
      In fact, I'd say that such hardship as poverty produces some of
      the most spiritual people on the planet. It's not that being poor is
      preferable. Its that the insights gained from such experiences
      are far different than the insights gained by having more food in
      your refrigerator than you will ever need to eat.

      In most countries of the world, one is considered to be doing
      quite well if they have a little home, a low paying job, and basic
      staples such as rice on their tables.

      Kent
    • tygerpurr
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2007
        So True. This is so much horse shit that poverty is a karmic debt or
        is some kind of "poverty consciousness" from past lives. I was talking
        to someone today about how Eckankar is a Cult and they wanted to know
        what made it a Cult. They wanted to know if eckists had to take a vow
        of poverty or something like that, do they prey on the poor? Do they
        have to give up their jobs? Ha! Oh contrare, employed eckists are much
        preferred because they have the money to pay their membership dues and
        go to all those seminars. Of course all this talk of poverty
        consciousness is very similar to the Puritan religious view, that the
        wealthy were wealthy because they were in God's favor, while the poor
        were being punished for their transgressions. As we know from all the
        political and religious scandals over the last several decades, these
        preachy types are usually the most hypocritical and in fact Greedy.
        Yes they can indeed Suck eggs. ; )

        --- In X-Eckankar_The-Chains-of-Eck@yahoogroups.com, "tomleafeater"