Ex-Initiator's Guide to Eck Initiations

  • tomleafeater
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2007
      Ex-Initiator's Guide to Initiations

      [I've posted an earlier version of this before, and with the
      discussion of secret words that has been ongoing, I thought this
      might be a good time to repost this. I've revised this, and added
      rebuttles to comments Eckists have made to the original.--K.A.]

      When I received the sixth initiation, I had essentially already
      decided to leave Eckankar. I was still hanging on out of some slight
      uncertainty, and also had decided to maintain my membership due to
      the fact that my partner, Lisa, still remained loyal to Eckankar. A
      year or two had passed while I was in this state of serious doubt and
      skepticism, when the pink slip for the sixth initiation came. I was
      surprised to say the least. Yet I wasn't too surprised. This
      confirmed what I already suspected: Initiations are not overseen or
      approved by a Mahanta or some omniscient being, but by a computer,
      with the assistance of initiate reports, and recommendations by the
      local Resa and other local High Initiates. I remained in Eckankar for
      years after this, until the day my mate felt as I did, and we both
      resigned.

      Lest there are those in Eckankar who don't yet know this, lists are
      periodically sent out with names generated by a computer to the state
      Resa (Regional Eck Spiritual Aid), who confers with local High
      Initiates to either recommend or not, an initiation (Klemp himself
      wrote of the computers producing the initiation lists a while back as
      I recall). Around the time I left Eckankar, most Eckists were
      automatically placed on the list every four or five years or so. If
      for some reason an Eckist was denied, they would usually show up
      again on the next year's list. Local H.I.'s in my area (including
      myself) would routinely talk over the names on the list via the
      telephone, and give their recommendations to the Resa according to
      each chela's loyalty and degree of outer service to the org. Those
      who were especially "troublesome" could be denied the initiation. The
      Resa emphasized loyalty as the most important trait. The results from
      the Resa are sent back to Minneapolis HQ where assistants appointed
      by Harold approve or deny the initiation based on such things as the
      time served as a dues paying member, the Resa recommendations, and
      initiate reports. Some, including myself, have observed that initiate
      reports (especially those which are positive or are written in praise
      of the org) definitely can play a role in the initiation approval
      process.

      Despite this, few people were denied an initiation if they were on
      the list. Eckankar has a very liberal policy toward initiations. I
      noticed that those who followed the disciplines well fared no better
      or worse than those who didn't. I noticed people who smoked, drank or
      never did their exercises stood just as great a chance of receiving
      the fifth initiation as anyone <G>. More than anything, the
      initiations were awarded based on time as a member. The rate at which
      initiations were received could be accelerated or delayed based on
      the chelas relationship with local H.I.'s and, especially, the state
      Resa, who has a great deal of influence in such matters.

      And one other thing is clear: Those who do not substantially conform
      to the expectations of the group are the ones most likely to be
      denied an initiation. Despite this, the H.I.'s or Resa's in different
      areas may vary in their tolerance levels, which accounts for the
      stories heard about individuals who never received initiations in one
      locale suddenly begin to receive them after moving to another area.
      Also, I've witnessed initiations being approved after three or four
      H.I's gave their unsolicited recommendations to Spiritual Services on
      behalf of certain chelas who were thought of as exceptionally
      deserving.

      I once had a friend who was extremely devoted to Eckankar, who had
      lived in a remote area during most of her time as a member, and
      didn't realize Eckankar's policy that time served as a dues paying
      member counted toward initiation. As a result, she didn't receive
      initiations for years do to the fact that she kept forgetting to
      renew her membership, thinking such things to be of the material
      worlds! She had no idea such trivialities mattered to the omniscient
      Mahanta! This woman had a life membership (at one time you could pay
      a large one time fee, $2,000, for a membership for life) but was
      still required to notify Eckankar of her intent to renew annually,
      though no additional fee was required. She didn't think such
      formalities were all that important, and as a result, due to a less
      than exemplary membership record, received no initiations beyond the
      second, despite years of devotion to Eckankar. One often may hear
      Eckists parroting that such outer initiations matter little, yet
      privately, most Eckists seem to feel very strongly about the
      initiations they are awarded.

      This isn't spoken of very much out in the open in Eckankar, but
      people such as the woman in the example can become quite
      disillusioned and depressed over not keeping up with their peers,
      feeling left behind, unwanted, and forgotten by the Mahanta. They see
      others who are seemingly less deserving receiving initiations,
      whereas they, despite being very devoted to Eckankar and the
      associated disciplines, seem to fall hopelessly behind. Due to
      Eckankar's policy that one not ever request initiations, many suffer
      in silence, sensing justifiably that something isn't quite right, yet
      fear to even ask about the possibility of an error. In many cases,
      even when they do ask, they face a stony silence from the org, or are
      told they are being "tested" spiritually, when all that is needed is
      a quick check of the record. This is one of the way's such a system
      can inflict undue pain upon its members, and is one reason I am
      taking the time to write about this in detail.

      Think about the numbers involved in the initiation approval process.
      If there are, as claimed, 50,000 members in the org, and each is
      considered for an initiation every five years or so, then that would
      average 10,000 per year, or 833 per month, or about 40 per day
      (excluding weekends), or about one initiation to be approved every 10
      to 15 minutes in an average eight hour day. Klemp would have to work
      full time on initiations every day for the rest of his life to spend
      10 to 15 minutes every five years on the "individual" member (do the
      math and see for yourself). Klemp has said that he checks the inner
      akashic and soul records to make such a choice. Remember that this
      would have to be done to merely consider a person for initiation,
      that is, to give each chela the individual attention and
      consideration that is due, whether or not the chela is actually
      approved for initiation.

      Klemp would have to live out of the body most of his life to
      accomplish such a feat. He would have no time for seminars, writing
      his constant supply of books, writing his speeches, eating, drinking,
      sleeping, going to meetings, running the corporation, etc. For those
      who argue that such reading of soul records does not take time,
      consider that Klemp has discontinued private requests for
      consultations to do soul readings because, according to him, it takes
      hours to accomplish an accurate reading of the soul records of just
      one person. Thus, a mere fifteen minutes would not be sufficient to
      approve an initiation, even if he did spend all day, every day of his
      life approving initiations. Think about this!

      From this it can be deduced that Klemp has, for the most part,
      nothing to do with the initiations, other than, perhaps, performing a
      perfunctory blessing of them in the eckankar offices to fool the
      membership. He simply doesn't have the time.

      Remember this key point: It's a fact that someone would have to act
      on the physical plane to approve the initiations and physically send
      out pink slips. No matter how you slice it, this person (or more
      likely, persons) is not the Living Eck Master, but rather, several
      paid employees.

      Some people argue that the true initiations are "inner," and
      therefore the outer initiations are not the true initiations. The
      fallacy in the logic of this argument is that Twitchell originally
      stated that the inner initiation comes before the outer, due to the
      principle of "as above, so below," which means that outer events
      occur on the inner first, manifesting outwardly later. Klemp has
      attempted to confuse people by reversing this, claiming that it takes
      time to grow into an initiation. But here Klemp contradicts himself,
      since Klemp has expressly stated in writing that he personally
      approves the outer initiations by reading the inner soul records.
      This means the person receiving the outer initiation would have,
      according to Klemp's own written statements, already have the inner
      preparation, and thus would have received the inner initiation. It is
      absurd to conclude that Klemp, in taking time to read the soul
      records to approve the outer initiation, would not include as part of
      that time and effort the giving of the actual inner initiation, if
      after having read the soul records it was determined the chela was
      eligible for the initiation. Thus, the logic that the inner and outer
      initiations are separate and not inextricably linked is denied in
      statements by Eckankar's only presumed authority, the Living Eck
      Master, Harold Klemp. And the obvious fact is, Klemp would not have
      the requisite time that he has stated is necessary to read so many
      soul records each day of his life. He has been caught up in his own
      contradictory statements and revealed himself to be a fraud.

      Thus, the initiations are entirely bogus. They represent nothing more
      than organizational status. Observe the behavior of the online
      clergy. These are not enlightened beings. They are ordinary people
      caught up in the throes of everyday life, like most people are in the
      rest of the world.

      Kent
    • Non ekster
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2007
        Thanks Kent,

        THis post of yours really explains it all, doesn't it. WHat gets me is
        the level of arrogance or HUUUbris that many of these "Initiators"
        have. lol My brother certainly fits in this category. I remember him
        once stating that everyone was an eckist, while at the same time he
        holds himself to be above all those of a lower initiation level,
        according to eckankult. He sees himself to be a high priest, probably
        in line to be an eckmaster himself. However, it seems odd that he has
        had so many continued health problems and already gone through three
        wives. As you say, these High Initiates are no different than any
        other ordinary person making his/her way through life. Unfortunately,
        the H.I. in eckankult is really worse off due to their delusional
        state of conscious. Since they are detached from their emotions they
        are really incapable of any true compassion and understanding. That is
        probably why Klemp is able to be a scam artist. He, like so many
        Sociopaths, has lost the ability to empathize with others.

        My advise to eckists is to run away. ; )

        --- In X-Eckankar_The-Chains-of-Eck@yahoogroups.com, "tomleafeater"