Re: "...proclaims great happiness but hides great suffering."

  • Moderator
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30 11:51 PM
      Hi Sharon,

      I'm glad that you came out of "retirement" for a moment. ; )
      I was wondering if anyone had even noticed the article. What struck me
      about the title was that the first "D" of the DDD in cult induction or
      thought reform, is Deception. Of course, that has to be the first step
      in any con. Any con artist would tell you that! lol I have noticed
      that many of my eck "friends" really hate the use of the word cult to
      describe them. THey even have a big problem with being classified as
      Occult, even though, if you were to look this word up in the
      dictionary, it is really just saying something akin to esoteric, or
      secret hidden knowledge. They just don't like the word because it has
      the word -cult in it. THe eck doctrin is full of the other two D's,
      Dependency and Dread. Dependency implies that there is an Authority,
      in this case "the living eck master" who can even control your karma
      and meet with you in various dream states <NOT>, and then there is the
      Dread, the Dread of leaving the eckankult path as this could be your
      ruin for many a lifetime to come, if not only in this lifetime <NOT>.

      This is not rocket science IMHO. It becomes obvious the longer you are
      out of or away from eckankult. For me, the Dependency and Dread was my
      vulnerable spot. Even the Bible cults use this a lot and often you
      can't change the TV channel without seeing the the red faced fanatic
      preacher trying to scare you with threats of some kind of hell, just
      for being human. ANyone who has seen Twitch, Gross or Klemp in person
      or on video will get the same sense of the angry, critical parental
      glare. The implied, and even overt statement is very clear, unless you
      are still stuck in the Cult Trance.

      I've been busy lately, and sometimes I don't get a chance to respond
      to posts right away. I recently found out about an older lady who
      lived next door to me. She has always been very friendly and even
      helped me out many times. I found out from another neighbor that she
      had cancer that had spread to her spine and also a brain tumor. I just
      had a feeling that something was up or more serious than I had
      thought. I couldn't ignore the urge to at least send her a card.
      Before that I had a sense that maybe she was dead and no one had
      bothered to tell me. Well it turns out that this may have happened if
      I hadn't actively looked into it. I even ran into her son briefly, but
      he wouldn't tell me much. Kind of strange, but I can understand that
      people want their privacy sometimes. But when I stopped by the Nursing
      Home she was staying at, to drop off the cards (blank with one a
      picture of a mountain stream and the other a picture of a beautiful
      rainbow, and I could write my own short note to her, just to be a
      friend and show support for her without being invasive like so many of
      those get well cards are), everyone seemed to insist that I go ahead
      and give them to her personally. I'm glad I did and even though it was
      a short visit, she was proped up in bed in a silent room by herself, I
      felt that this small act on my part was a good thing to do.

      The Nursing Home did have a lot of religious statues around that I had
      to kind of ignore. Spiritual abuse can affect you that way sometimes.
      What really seemed important, was to just be there as a friend, not a
      spirit, or simply sending positive energy or whatever. All of this may
      have it's place, IMHO, but like Woody Allen has been quoted to say:
      90% of life is just showing up. I have a feeling that a lot of my eck
      "friends" probably wouldn't bother to show up.

      Well just had to tell my little story. The experience really had a
      profound affect on me. I wish my neighbor well. She has in the past
      apparently survived cancer several times, to my amazement, but I'm not
      so sure about this one. Hugs

      --- In X-Eckankar_The-Chains-of-Eck@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon"
      <brighttigress@...> wrote:

      Re: "...proclaims great happiness but hides great suffering."

      No, I'm not "unretiring" - but cleaning out a lot of "old" stuff in my
      inbox, I came across this again - I hadn't deleted it the first time
      because I wanted to get back to it and read instead of skim.

      I found this one *especially* good and *very* relevant to e-kult's
      techniques. Often, ekult apologists try to squirm out of "lists" such
      as this, and it's true that many "cult characteristic" lists *do* seem
      to apply more to the kind of cults that physically isolate people,
      etc. Ekult relies more on having members brainwash themselves, since
      many eckists, especially at the beginning, may be studying it on their
      own at home mostly, as I did when I joined.

      I think I thought about cults like most people do - that they're small
      groups of wackos & extremists. In fact, I remember a rather early
      ekult Satsang that focused specifically on why eckankar is *not* a
      cult, and those false "teachings" stuck with me. Took me quite awhile
      after I got out to *really* understand the whole thing, and how e-kult
      did it.

      This ties in with a book I got about a week ago, Janja Lalich &
      Madeleine Tobias's new "Take Back Your Life: Recovering from cults and
      abusive relationships". I've only read a little bit so far, but I was
      a wee bit unhappy because so far, it seems to apply more to those
      "isolating" cults, and not specifically to a new-age mail-order cult
      like eckankar, sort of. Of course, I've got a lot more to read - and
      who knows, perhaps this article and/or what it covers might show up
      later in the book.

      I'd like to suggest, as people read this article (especially current
      members and newbies) that they stop and think after each item, think
      about exactly how this applies to ekult, and yourself personally.

      It's only when you really understand what was done to you, and how,
      that you can un-do it and make sure it never happens again!

      BTW - don't know if "Leaf" is here and/or over at ESA (http://groups.
      yahoo.com/group/EckankarSurvivorAnonymous) but I see the "100th
      Monkey" stuff was cross-posted from ESA here, as well as at ET - Leaf
      had responded to it at ET. While cross-posting is often a great and
      helpful thing, it can also get to be a bit confusing and even "too
      much" for some people to keep up with. (Like me!!)

      And it just occurred to me - yep, I'm gonna cross-post this one over
      at ET. Even though you may have already done that!!! <gg>

      Anyway, thanks for posting this great article! Langone is great, and
      another thing I want to do is spend some time over at their website,
      http://www.csj.org - haven't been there for a long time and I'd like
      to catch up on changes, as well as "refresh" my memory on exactly
      what's there!

      Back to "retirement"....

      Hugs,

      Sharon

      --- In X-Eckankar_The-Chains-of-Eck@yahoogroups.com, tygerpurr
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > ***This is a very interesting article on authoritarian destructive
      > cult induction and how it works. It is exactly what goes on in
      > eckankar. THe article is from the International Cultic Studies
      > Association. Definately worth the read.
      >
      > Tygerpurr***
      >

      > Deception, Dependency & Dread
      >
      > Michael D. Langone, Ph.D.

    • mishmisha9
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
        > I've been busy lately, and sometimes I don't get a chance to
        respond to posts right away. I recently found out about an older
        lady who lived next door to me. She has always been very friendly
        and even helped me out many times. I found out from another neighbor
        that she had cancer that had spread to her spine and also a brain
        tumor. I just had a feeling that something was up or more serious
        than I had thought. I couldn't ignore the urge to at least send her
        a card. Before that I had a sense that maybe she was dead and no one
        had bothered to tell me. Well it turns out that this may have
        happened if I hadn't actively looked into it. I even ran into her
        son briefly, but he wouldn't tell me much. Kind of strange, but I
        can understand that people want their privacy sometimes. But when I
        stopped by the Nursing Home she was staying at, to drop off the
        cards (blank with one a picture of a mountain stream and the other a
        picture of a beautiful rainbow, and I could write my own short note
        to her, just to be a friend and show support for her without being
        invasive like so many of those get well cards are), everyone seemed
        to insist that I go ahead and give them to her personally. I'm glad
        I did and even though it was a short visit, she was proped up in bed
        in a silent room by herself, I felt that this small act on my part
        was a good thing to do. The Nursing Home did have a lot of religious
        statues around that I had to kind of ignore. Spiritual abuse can
        affect you that way sometimes. What really seemed important, was to
        just be there as a friend, not a spirit, or simply sending positive
        energy or whatever. All of this may have it's place, IMHO, but like
        Woody Allen has been quoted to say: 90% of life is just showing up.
        I have a feeling that a lot of my eck "friends" probably wouldn't
        bother to show up.

        Well just had to tell my little story. The experience really had a
        profound affect on me. I wish my neighbor well. She has in the past
        apparently survived cancer several times, to my amazement, but I'm
        not so sure about this one. Hugs.

        Hi, I enjoyed reading your story. Thanks for sharing. The Woody
        Allen quote is quite right! It's a strange thing about critical
        illnesses--many people, including eckists, are often hesitant
        to "bother." The excuse is they don't want to bother the ill person,
        but of course it is an evasion of looking at our own mortality. I
        once had a neighbor who was dying from brain cancer. Of course, she
        had lost her hair. During the months before her death, the neighbor
        on the other side of her house said that he couldn't stand to look
        at her bald head, and so he ignored her. This really hurt the dying
        lady. We have choices--I think your decision to take cards to your
        friend, and then have the opportunity to see her was so very kind
        and loving. I'm sure that she was happy with your thoughtfulness.
        And it made you feel better too, didn't it? This is always good--
        showing up is important to all of those involved!

        Have a great 4th!
        Mish