Re: [Writers Forum] AQ Khan: Return of the Mad Nuclear Scientist

  • Iftekhar Shaikh
    Message 1 of 14 , May 9 3:07 AM
      @Aamir Khan , Munir Saheb!

      Well it is against freedom of speech to stop or block ones opinion. If someone like to adopt an ostrich approach one should delete the email or ignore it, as barking dog seldom bites.

      But Tarek Fatah's view point is not an isolated one and his remarks need logical reasoning and reply.

      Why do we fail to realise that 'B for Bengal' was not part of PAKISTAN. Neither iqbal dreamt about it nor that Rehmat Ali cared to include in the scheme. WHY? b'coz they were considered culturally and racially different.

      Even Jinnah allowed Suharwardy to strive for independent united Bengal, he had to left that effort to come back as Liaquat had announced a deadline for those opting for Pakistan.

      Why we ignore it that Jinnah used religion n Islam in public rallies with vogue statements and hollow sloganeering. while he adopted a secular life style till his last time; And his sister continued later on till her death as well. He knew very well about shallowness of his argument of nationhood on the basis of religion that he took a U- turn while delivering a policy statement on 11 August '47. That was real Jinnah.

      This divergence in public sloganeering and policy statement of Jinnah has created the chaos which resulted in countless miseries to people of subcontinent. It is what Tarek Fateh has been trying to put through bluntly. He has every right to be so blunt as we have got thick skinned and refusing to see how world is looking at us.

      Now about me, I am Pakistani and travelled in Europe and Pakistan in past 10 years and I fully endorse Tarek Fatah's comments. You can argue about his observations that will be in the fitness of things.

      Best regards,
      /Iftekhar Shaikh

      Wednesday, May 2, 2012

      AQ Khan: Return of the mad nuclear scientist

      Tarek Fatah

      As Israeli politicians and intelligence officials bicker publicly about Iran’s capability of making a nuclear bomb and its capacity to strike Israel, they seem blind to what is happening next door in Pakistan that has both the bomb and strike capability, and soon the political leadership to order such a strike.

      Like the rest of the West, Jerusalem seems incapable of sifting through the myriad of complexities that allow Pakistan, the most dangerous enemy of the West to escape scrutiny. Islamabad’s military capabilities are not restricted to nuclear bombs alone; it has deviously managed to squeeze billions of dollars from the very West its undeclared jihad wishes to destroy.

      Israel’s defence minister Ehud Barak insists Iran is “determined to obtain nuclear weapons,” adding, “And they are getting closer. We are approaching what I’ve termed the immunity zone — the moment when Iran’s nuclear program will be sufficiently developed and secretly concealed, that it will be immune to any surgical attacks.” Israel is particularly concerned with Iran’s underground Fordo site buried deep inside a mountain near the city of Qom, where centrifuges are enriching uranium to 20 percent purity.

      Well, unbeknownst to the Israelis and perhaps the Americans, the man who supplied the Iranians the centrifuges and who amassed a fortune selling stolen nuclear know-how from the Netherlands and components manufactured in Pakistan to Iran, Dr. A. Q. Khan is being set up to become the next president of nuclear-armed Pakistan.

      Time magazine called this dangerous rogue scientist “The Merchant of Menace” in 2005 and had this to report on Khan’s Iranian connection:

      “... IAEA officials say, [A. Q.] Khan did establish contact with the Iranians. A key member of the network has told investigators that Iran bought centrifuges from Khan. The IAEA reports that the Khan network also provided Iran with blueprints to manufacture more P-1 and P-2 centrifuges.”

      Seven years ago Time reported, “Khan is under house arrest, his every move monitored by Pakistani government agents. He is said to be in failing health,” predicting Khan “will probably live out his days a recluse.”

      Not so fast.

      The man Pakistan promised would never be allowed to peddle his nuclear wares again, is today a free man and has teamed up with the notorious pro-Taliban Pakistani politician, Imran Khan donning the title of ‘Patron’ of cricketer-turned politician’s political party.

      While the anti-American Imran Khan is being groomed by Pakistan’s military-judicial-jihadi complex to take over as the country’s next prime minister after the 2013 elections, the mad scientist Dr. A. Q. Khan is being promoted as the country’s next president. Already a Facebook page has emerged with the title “We want Imran Khan as PM and AQ Khan as president.”

      The possibility of President A. Q. Khan of Pakistan is already creating waves in The Netherlands; Holland is to host the 2014 World Nuclear Security Summit where Pakistan will be at the table and some members of the Dutch media are raising the issue with alarm.

      It seems neither the U.S. nor Israel have woken up to the scenario of a nuclear-armed Pakistan headed by a pro-Taliban prime minister and a rogue nuclear scientist as the president; one who admits to have sold nuclear parts and know-how to both Iran and North Korea.

      ---

      --
      http://www.TarekFatah.com

    • aziz_yadayada
      Message 2 of 14 , May 11 6:45 AM

        With all due respect  Iftekhar Shaikh Saheb, you seem to understand Tarek Fatahs blunt statement and thoughts I call it rude evasive attempt that side step the original post and I don't know if you agree with his antagonistic views on the original post, So I will ask how do you  substantiate accusation made by Tarek Fatah against Imran Khan where he accuses him of being complicit with AQ Khan in an agenda to be in PM and Presidents position respectively. Call it logical argument that is largely based on Facebook page no relation to the two people or the picture showing the two of them shaking hands that is a very old picture from Toronto Sun image archive over 15 year old. He then accuses Imran Khan of being pro Taliban and proponent of Sharia and provides no direct evidence, Very much like the argument used by by Islamophobes, or political opponents and critics that are thin perhaps of concern but thin, I understand you like Tarek Fatahs blunt language but When Imran Khan uses  blunt language and often speaks his mind partisan political opportunist conveniently label him as Islamist or useful idiot but shouldn't there be substantial argument that shows he supports terrorism and extremism, his inexperience might be my concern but someone like me who has lost a family member to Cancer do appreciate what he is doing for people of Pakistan in establishment of first dedicated Cancer hospital and research center. There is much to his humanism

        You are right Tarek Fatah is entitled to his opinion just as you are entitled to any of your opinions that is what free speech is all about and one is entitled to respond to and reason, debate and discuss opinion or even appreciate obnoxious rude language. Fortunately we are part of a""moderated"" group run by very progressive, fair and patient man .... Munir Sami Saheb who understand what free Speech means, Unfortunately as a former member of Tarek Fatahs group MCC I am too familiar with arrogant, aggressive language not a problem, Problem is I did not enjoy free speech you like to see and my posts and comments where censored not discussed, I suppose an article from canadian civil Liberties union on the issue of Niqab in Quebec talking about human rights was to liberal for Tarek Fatahs group that claims to give voice to Human rights, and that is willing to defend the rights of Islamophobes like Anne Courtlier and Mark Steyn  to free speech but not my voice trying to seeki logic, clarification to why a Muslim women wearing Niqab be denied emergency medical service because her face is covered when I would be just as disturbed if Ahmediya is denied emergency health service because of their religious belief. If you write letters to Ministers saying Muslims agree with such actions or you support such discriminatory measures than I should be able to present alternative opinion hoping the group will think about it but steadfastly condemn regressive practice of Niqab without actually endorsing violation of article 18 and 19.. enough said....people should practice what they preach. Human rights is not something you pick and choose. Free speech yes very important and one should be mindful, not to shout Fire in a crowded theater when there is none as it does have ramifications. However I do share with him and Imran Khan that is they both disapprove religious extremism.

        Saudi Arabia and Pakistan has poor track record on civil rights so I can understand your support for Tarek Fatah but I would be disappointed if you support similar trends in denying public services to veiled women or deny any one citizenship based on a dress code or veil. Encourage Laws that promote ethnic, religious and racial profiling, police spying and discrimination, it is not ok  even if it is in blunt language, because. one can not reconcile support for his views on Pakistan and his views on how Muslim minorities should treated in the West to me they are two sides of the same coin call it hypocrisy.

        Now on different subject.

        I am glad to know of you are informed Pakistani who has travelled to Europe and Pakistan over the last 10 years.

        So let me talk about myself, I have lived in Canada since 1973 and my wife is Sindhi from Karachi and her family is still living in Badin and I have lived in Pakistan, India London, Africa so I consider myself well travelled Like you. Today I don't have the luxury of travel or being physical involved in human rights field work and activism I once enjoyed and for past few years I find myself to be classified as someone who is severally disabled.

        Your rebuke of Pakistan is understandable however I beg to differ the language of hate for Pakistan and disrespect for Saeed Quereshi was obvious was to obvious in Tarek Fatah's comments. You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

        I normally don't care to debate the Two Nation argument where everyone claims to be an expert but I can speak from authoritative source involved in independence movement from memoirs of Agakhan III that the notion of two nation theory originally was not based on two sovereign Nations but recognition of two distinct society based on united Federation like Canada with two distinct communities and , All this happened after many attempts by leaders Like Mohsen-ul--Molk, Sir Syed Khan, Agakhan III and Syed Amir Ali who made every effort to integrate Muslims into the Congress to present a united front for independent India. The Congress of G.K. Gokhale or Sir Pheozeshah Mehta  was not the Congress of Ghandhi and two Nehru's father and son which increasingly proved itself incapable of representing Indias Muslims or of dealing adequately and justly with needs and aspirations of Muslim community. The pressure of Hindu extremism was to strong. Already that artificial unity which the British Raj had imposed from without was cracking. Deep seated and incredible differences expressed themselves so lets also be clear Jinah was actually opposed to two nations initially, there was breach and difference and he felt a level of political intransigence among Hindu leaders.

        Whatever the reasons of this attitude, the congress leaders persisted in ignoring the realities of the communal situation. There were provinces in which Muslims were in clear majority, in Bengal for example and in Punjab etc and where they were minorities, these issues were never satisfactorily resolved

        Jinah is criticized for being secular and Islamist policy wonk both. I understand criticism of inflexibility in negotiations at times but I would suggest the train left the station long time ago not that I care to make a 20 page argument or absolve politicians and Military for failing to recognize Bengali communal situation but to say he is responsible for 1970/71 does take a little imagination.

        The lesson too learn is be It Hindu extremists in Gujarat, or Muslims extremism resulting in Bangladesh any kind of political extremism can have devastating results exactly why certain opinions or purveyors of hate and language of division should be condemned. Offcourse within the scope of free speech.

        Kind Regards
        Aziz