Canadain Islamic Congress v/s Macleans magazine

  • Munir Pervaiz (Saami)
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2007
      Hello Friends,

      Canadian Congress Congress (CIC)  has initiated an action at the Federal and Provincial  Human Rights Commissions, against Canadian magazine, Macleans, for publishing an article that in CIC's opinion is Islamophobic. A date for hearing has been set for  in near future.

      I would like to express my  opinion that this action from the CIC is apparently a covert  form of  organized censorship and should be opposed by all who believe in Freedom of Expression.

      While some may find the article as distasteful, malicious, and harsh on Islam, the appropriate  approach to oppose it is to publish one's own arguments against it.

      In my opinion Canadian Islamic Congress has more than sufficient influence and space in Canadian media through its own well known opinion makers and journalists. I believe that several major publishers in Canada would have been willing to publish  properly written rejoinders on this matter.

      It is unfortunate that several organizations in Canada have used the legal threats and actions as a method of censorship in the past. All such efforts should be opposed and rigorously fought against. Ideas can only be debated with ideas and not through the yokes of legal actions.

      The Right of Freedom of Expression is the right on which all human rights in a civilized society are founded upon. Any dilution of this right is the greatest threat to civilized society.

      I am enclosing the link to the contentious Macleans article for all to read, The Future Belongs to Islam:

      http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?content=20061023_134898_134898&source=

      Thanks . Munir

      -------
      Books won't stay banned.  They won't burn.  Ideas won't go to jail.  In the long run of history, the censor and the inquisitor have always lost.  The only weapon against bad ideas is better ideas.
      ~Alfred Whitney Griswold, New York Times, 24 February 1959
    • Akhtar Ali Khan
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2007
        Hello:  I have written the following letter (whatever its worth) to the Editor of the Macleans.
        "Dear Sir:
        I am dismayed and disappointed that your respectable magazine will publish such a one-sided
        view of Muslims and Islam.  It is unfair of the writer to judge a belief and its believers on the basis of
        disfranchised Palestinians (who of course are both Muslims and Christians) in Gaza, who are fighting,
        perhaps by unfair means against an oppression.  Extremism, unfortunately, is not restricted to Muslims;
        each and every country has them.  But to condemn a whole belief, on the basis of a few extremists,
        is neither objective nor fair.  The majority of Muslims, like me, are peace-living, productive and patriotic
        members of the society they live in and are part of.
           At the same time, of course, quoting Voltaire, I defend most vigorously your right to freedom of
        speech and expression, for to me as a Canadian Muslim this right is far more important even when
        my belief and religion is unfairly targeted. However, I do sincerely hope that in the name of journalistic
        fairness, you and your magazine in the future will be able to see through the ill motives of some writers
        who disguise their bigotry through scholarship.
        Regards"