Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: contiguous lands in Sartar

  • Gavain Sweetman
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2009

      Really a problem with making maps. In an idea world, we'd show that the boundaries are porous and overlapping. Clans don't have firm boundaries recognized by all parties, nor do tribes. However, this map helps show the generally accepted boundaries of the tribes and helps players and narrators get a far better feeling for the location and size of the tribes, which locations are under the control of what tribe and so on.

      Jeff

      Where do the clan markers fit into all this? ISTR that they mark out the limits of the perception of the clan wyter.

      I guess, from the comments above, that they mark out the core of the clan's territory: holy sites, steads, fields and prime grazing. The sort of stuff that the clan will fight to protect. What's left in between is the wilder non-cultivated portions, low quality grazing and hunting grounds. This being the porous portion you mentioned above.

      Is that the right sort of thinking?

      Gavain
    • allen
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2009
        > I guess, from the comments above, that they mark out the core of the clan's territory: holy sites, steads, fields and prime grazing. The sort of stuff that the clan will fight to protect. What's left in between is the wilder non-cultivated portions, low quality grazing and hunting grounds. This being the porous portion you mentioned above.
        >
        > Is that the right sort of thinking?

        Yep. The wyter protects the core lands and holy places of the clan. There are going to be lots of land claimed by a clan that are not protected by the wyter. And the wyter may protect areas that would not seem obviously important and ignore economically valuable places.

        Jeff
      • bryan_thx
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2009
          --- In WorldofGlorantha@yahoogroups.com, "allen" <richaje@...> wrote:

          > Yep. The wyter protects the core lands and holy places of the clan. There are going to be lots of land claimed by a clan that are not protected by the wyter. And the wyter may protect areas that would not seem obviously important and ignore economically valuable places.

          I always also figured that the clan was responsible for what went on in the lands protected by their wyter, but less so in traditional hunting lands, etc. Also that there must be some cost to the clan for larger wyter supervised areas, if only longer walks during certain ceremonies. So if there are dangerous landscape spirits, you probably don't have them within your boundaries. If there are rough lands that you don't have the resources to properly patrol, you probably don't want them within your boundaries.

          As a result, the spaces between clans would often not be the most pleasant places.... :)