Re: Exclusive Worship

  • Jeff Richard
    Message 1 of 47 , Jul 2, 2008
      > While I can see individuals treating converts this way it seems very
      > intolerant for this type of society to do so. Heortling culture is
      > bottom up rather than top down. The primary loyalty is family, then
      > bloodline, then clan, etc. So when your cousin comes back with some
      > strange new idea you tell him he's daft and to help with the weeding.
      > Routinely excluding able bodied adults because their ideas are wrong
      > is a sign of fanatics who are either in power in a top down society
      > or minority groups in a larger society. So your description does fit
      > the odd clan run by Uroxi but not the typical clan of Durev farmers.

      It is extremely rare in normal Orlanthi society for a clan member to
      decide to initiate to a hostile demon like Jagrekriand, Shepelkirt or
      Malkion! These are not "strange new ideas" like shaving your beard -
      these are folk who are offering sacrifices to strengthen the enemies
      of your gods and of your ancestors. Believe me, farmers would be the
      first folk who would demand outlawry of such folk!

      Keep in mind, few Gloranthans are even remotely tolerant of "strange
      new ideas" - such thinking has always been disasterous in the past:
      Gbaji, the EWF, the God Learners and now the Lunars. Many Orlanthi
      believe that the Lunar "strange new ideas" are nothing more than the
      return of Gbaji and are inspired by Wakboth the Devil. And the
      Orlanthi are one of the less xenophobic cultures in Glorantha.

      > >With the Lunar Conquest, that's harder to do - most Lunar converts
      > >are under the protection of the Lunar Army. Kill them and you pick
      > >a fight with the Empire.
      >
      > Which is little or no protection in a rural area like most of Sartar.
      > Sure Lunar missionaries can call on the army if their temples are
      > threatened but who is to know if an ordinary convert dies - "He was
      > kicked by a cow and the healer was too late to save him".

      If the convert was under the support of the local Seven Mothers cult,
      that clan better be ready to give that cow - and fifty more - to the
      tax collector next year.

      Jeff
    • Alison Place
      Message 47 of 47 , Jul 7, 2008
        Smelly, Donald, very smelly. Still, why not?
        Alison

        Roderick Robertson:
        You're a Pavis NPC, Alison? Damn, I hate it when fictional characters escape from their books and find a niche on the internet. :-)

        Alison Place:
        I sometimes feel I've spent enough time there to qualify. (Just knew someone would rise to the bait, though. ;-) )

        Donald Oddy:
        I'm sure there's a chippy (fish & chip takeaway) in Pavis called Alison's Plaice.