Out of the darkness, a new dawn?

  • cj
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
      Seems the lightbringers have returned. So the first question - does
      every race remember the Dawn? How do the Kralorelans recall it? And
      has anyone ever run a Dawn Age game? I imagine it would have a very
      Genesis 1-11 feel, or Atrakhis Epic or Gilagamesh Epic feel if oyu
      prefer... Any ideas for such a scenario?

      cj x
    • David Dunham
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
        >has anyone ever run a Dawn Age game? I imagine it would have a very
        >Genesis 1-11 feel, or Atrakhis Epic or Gilagamesh Epic feel if oyu
        >prefer... Any ideas for such a scenario?

        <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/dawnAge/>
        <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/ralios/firstAge.html>

        I've thought about a game where you went around as an Awakener,
        reviving the gods lost to people during the Great Darkness.

        I'd have to reread Genesis 1-11, but I think Gilgamesh is more like a
        pre-Dawn game (Gilgamesh was after all 2/3 divine, and that sounds
        more like the days when it was harder to distinguish between heroes
        and demigods). As for pre-Dawn, I ran a scenario:
        <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/oroninela.html> is the
        setting.
        --

        David Dunham
      • Roderick Robertson
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
          > Seems the lightbringers have returned. So the first question - does
          > every race remember the Dawn? How do the Kralorelans recall it? And

          I don't think everyone remembers the transition from "The Way It Used To Be"
          to "The Way It Is Now" the same way. The Theyalans know it as "The Dawn",
          but we know that the Lightbringer Missionaries went around convincing
          scattered tribes that it had actually happened - so there are some peoples
          that would only *really* know about it second hand.

          How individual groups remember it (such as the Kralorelans) is really a
          question that has to be specific to the group (and *I* don't know how the
          Kralorelans know of/remember the "Event also known as the Dawn")

          RR
          He was born with the gift of laughter and the sense that the world was mad
          R. Sabatini, Scaramouche
        • Jeff Richard
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
            > I've thought about a game where you went around as an Awakener,
            > reviving the gods lost to people during the Great Darkness.
            >
            > I'd have to reread Genesis 1-11, but I think Gilgamesh is more like a
            > pre-Dawn game (Gilgamesh was after all 2/3 divine, and that sounds
            > more like the days when it was harder to distinguish between heroes
            > and demigods). As for pre-Dawn, I ran a scenario:
            > <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/oroninela.html> is the
            > setting.

            I think a Dawn Awakeners game would be great fun. Then again, so
            would playing a band of desperate survivors of the Great Darkness who
            are contacted by the Theyalan Missionaries. Do you embrace Orlanth
            and the Lightbringers and learn the magic they offer - and use it for
            some purpose totally unexpected to the Theyalans? Or reject it and
            get hunted down by ancient enemies? And so on. It would be a blast.

            Jeff
          • Rick Meints
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
              --- In WorldofGlorantha@yahoogroups.com, "cj" <cj@...> wrote:

              > Seems the lightbringers have returned. So the first question - does
              > every race remember the Dawn? How do the Kralorelans recall it?
              And
              > has anyone ever run a Dawn Age game? Any ideas for such a scenario?
              >
              > cj x

              As I understand it, only something like 1% of the pre-dawn population
              survived the Great Darkness to see the dawn, at least in Central
              Genertela. I think a great scenario could take place a few
              generations after the dawn, were the current generation has begun to
              doubt the "first-hand" accounts of the generation that has largely
              died out since the dawn. Perhaps they are faced with a crisis from
              the Great Darkness that has returned, and they have to scramble to
              relearn and re-use almost forgotten skills and powers to fight off
              their enemies. Perhaps they have to quest back into the Great
              Darkness and return with something, and that quest greatly changes
              their understanding of what happened to a forgotten generation, a
              generation they almost dismissed for telling tall tales of unreal
              horror. It could be something akin to a peaceful people going back
              and experiencing the trenches of the First World War first hand.

              Just an idea.
              Rick
            • nils_w
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 15, 2007
                --- In WorldofGlorantha@yahoogroups.com, "cj" <cj@...> wrote:

                > Seems the lightbringers have returned. So the first question - does
                > every race remember the Dawn? How do the Kralorelans recall it?

                Most East Islanders do not remember the Dawn as anything special
                as their sun never went out during the Darkness. The worst moment
                and the most miraculous rescue for the Vithelans happened earlier
                in the mythic ages.

                /Nils W
              • pentallion
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 16, 2007
                  --- In WorldofGlorantha@yahoogroups.com, "nils_w" <nils@...> wrote:

                  > --- In WorldofGlorantha@yahoogroups.com, "cj" <cj@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Seems the lightbringers have returned. So the first question -
                  does
                  > > every race remember the Dawn? How do the Kralorelans recall it?
                  >
                  > Most East Islanders do not remember the Dawn as anything special
                  > as their sun never went out during the Darkness. The worst moment
                  > and the most miraculous rescue for the Vithelans happened earlier
                  > in the mythic ages.
                  >
                  > /Nils W

                  How is it that the sun never went out during the Darkness for the East
                  Islanders?
                • Greg Stafford
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 16, 2007
                    YGWV

                    Quoting pentallion <pentallion@...>:

                    > --- In WorldofGlorantha@yahoogroups.com, "nils_w" <nils@...> wrote:
                    >> Most East Islanders do not remember the Dawn as anything special
                    >> as their sun never went out during the Darkness. The worst moment
                    >> and the most miraculous rescue for the Vithelans happened earlier
                    >> in the mythic ages.
                    >>
                    >> /Nils W
                    >>
                    > How is it that the sun never went out during the Darkness for the East
                    > Islanders?

                    The easiest way to understand this is to recall that the Gods War was,
                    among other things, a "coming together--a clash-of the worlds into
                    becoming one."

                    The Eastern World had not entirely merged with the Whole World, and so
                    operated slightly out of synch with them.

                    ========================
                    Sincerely,
                    Greg Stafford

                    Issaries, Inc.
                    c/o Greg Stafford
                    1942 Channing Ave, #204
                    Berkeley, CA 94704 USA
                  • frogspawner
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 16, 2007
                      --- In WorldofGlorantha@yahoogroups.com, Greg Stafford <Greg@...> wrote:
                      > The easiest way to understand this is to recall that the Gods War
                      was,
                      > among other things, a "coming together--a clash-of the worlds into
                      > becoming one."

                      Hey! You've had enough good ideas for Glorantha already! You can't have
                      THAT one - that's the basic premise for MY world!

                      It's a great excuse to steal the best bits from anywhere else, too,
                      including Glorantha... oops. Darn! Oh well, I guess you can have it
                      after all... :-)