Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Character generation: Sartar book

  • hcarteau@free.fr
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2011
      First off, I don't create 9 other ablities either. My humakti character has been in player for 6 games and I still haven't used them all.

      Second, you can create them during play, keeping free "slots" to activate when the time is right.

      Third, you can use some of these "slots" as break-aways from your keyword, such as : Warrior 17 (Keyword), Wrestler +1. Personally, I'd allow to stack 2 or 3 "slots" for a +2 or +3 breakaway bonus, if your GM allows.

      Hervé

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2011
        Michael

        This is where the prose method shines, by turning background / backstory / character stuff into abilities.

        Even if you use the basic list method, it is worth just having a chat about who the character is, what he feels strongly about, what who he has strong relationships or hatred for. And take notes during this process and then try and turn what is discussed into descriptors that can be used as abilities.

        To help further it may help to know where your having the problem, is it more on the general ability side and inspiration or is it in understanding the relative abilities in the setting? Also what kind of games have you played in the past?

        Jamie

        --- In WorldofGlorantha@yahoogroups.com, "michaelL" <michaelalewis25@...> wrote:
        > I could really use some suggestions.

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2011
          Michael -

          The Sartar Book includes several pregenerated characters which are complete.

          However, in practice I do not encourage players to use all their abilities or points at the beginning of the game. Rather we start with a character keyword (we use the "Hollywood Pitch" approach), the three runes, and the few additional abilities that the players immediately want. Then we start the game. Pretty quickly, players add abilities and points to their character ("You want to be an initiate of Orlanth? You need to add 4 points to your Air Rune then." "Do one of you know Brygga Scissortongue? OK, you need to use one of your ability points to create a relationship.") and their heroes get fleshed out organically.

          I've found that for both players and GMs this approach can be far more satisfying (and far quicker) than the 100 word essay or the traditional method of deciding everything about your character before the game even begins.

          Jeff