Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: Status of Mongoose RQ publications' Glorantha content

  • Nick Eden
    Message 1 of 45 , Jan 4, 2010
      Seems reasonable. If you can work in a bit more of what makes the Second Age
      distinctive then that would be a bonus. I was a bit disapointed by the
      degree to which Cults 1 read exactly like Gods of Glorantha.

      On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Lawrence Whitaker <
      lawrence.whitaker@...> wrote:

      > 2010/1/4 Ian Borchardt <iborchar@...>
      >

      > > Please forgive me if I sound overly cynical, but will you be offering
      > > update/transition publications, or is this simply an attempt to make
      > > us repurchase 90% of the same material yet again in order to remain
      > > "canonical"?
      > >

      > No need to apologise for sounding overly cynical :-)
      >
      > There are two reasons for reworking some of the original MRQ Second Age
      > material. The first is obviously to bring materials that need to remain
      > current in-line with the RQII rules; this is why Races of Glorantha and
      > Cults are being worked-on first. In the case of Races of Glorantha we'll be
      > consolidating all the races books into one volume and carrying out the
      > necessary updates. However, there will be a free, PDF, MRQ to RQII
      > conversion guide made available soon which means you won't need to buy the
      > new book. If you have Dragonewts, Mostali, Aldryami and so on in their
      > first
      > edition form, the vast bulk of the material will be served,
      > conversion-wise,
      > by the RQII conversion notes.
      >
      > Cults is more problematic because the two original volumes released for
      > Second Age Glorantha are highly flawed. The new editions will bring cults
      > into line with RQII but also correct a lot of the problems the first
      > editions suffered from, plus expand the range of cults (specifically
      > relating to God Learner and EWF cults) and ensure as much cross
      > compatibility and continuity with what Moon Design is doing with HQ2 and
      > Sartar. This is a very necessary work stream and although I've yet to begin
      > work on the Cults book, my feeling is that Cults of Glorantha vols 1 and 2
      > will be rendered redundant. However, what you will get is all the cults in
      > one volume, and a more substantial, correct and - dare I say it - canonical
      > work to boot.
      >
      > After these publications its new material all the way...
      >

      > > Ian
      > > --
      > > Ian Borchardt (iborchar@... <iborchar%40gmail.com>)
      > > Philosoph, Fool, and Magician
      > > "That is not dead which can eternal lie,
      > > And with strange Ians, even death may die."
      > >

      > --
      > One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
      > And the next its rolling over me...
      >
      > Rush - 'Far Cry'

    • newt_newport
      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 12, 2010
        --- In WorldofGlorantha@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McDonald How do you productive dads do it? (I am talking to YOU Newt.)

        I take my chances to write/edit/layout when I can and not dwell on it too much when I can't. I find that why it nicely flows :)

        Specific tips for writing dads

        1. Get up at least an hour before the rest of the house.(this one's courtesy of Loz).
        2. Cut down on the video gaming.
        3. Be focused and determined. Ever wonder why you don't see me on the lists much ;)
        4. Work in small chunks, set small achievable milestones and watch the greater whole emerge.
        4. A wet lunchtime at work is an opportunity to visit the sunny climes of Glorantha :)
        5. Get a free dropbox.com account to keep your documents sycned between computers. I can work on the same doc on my home desktop, my netbook (for times when the missus wants me to sit with her) and my work desktop without having to worry that I'm not working on the most upto date version.

        Regards

        ;O)Newt