Last call for your entry for "What lessons can America learn . . . "

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2009

      Good morning and last call:

      We need to hear from you with your recommendation  by MID-NIGHT TONIGHT. This will give me just enough time to do my best to cobble all the great ideas that we are receiving into a coherent and striking piece for our friends at the DOT.

      Thanks for all your support on this, and if you have not yet gotten your candidate in – ONE IDEA, CONCEPT, APPROACH IN 250 WORDS OR LESS – now is the time to do it.

      Make sure that there is at least one idea from your country for us. Think of it as a gift for Obama. You can do it!

      Kind thanks and best from a gray Paris (and when by the way is your city going to have thousands of free bikes and safe cycling?)

      Eric Britton

       “What lessons can America learn from the rest of the world . . .?”

      Game Plan for new mobility group project as of 22 Jan. 09

      Topic:  You are invited to contribute a short statement/recommendation (250 words max!!) OUTLINING A SINGLE CONCEPT, POLICY, PRACTICE, PROJECT, PROGRAM IDEA that you feel the Obama transportation  team will do well to look at seriously as they prepare to lead transportation policy in America for the next four years.

      The question: “What lessons can America learn from the rest of the world in terms of transportation developments that are safe, efficient, cost-effective, and sustainable?

      “We Americans often think of ourselves as sitting at the very top of the social, economic, technological, entertainment, and political pyramid.  After all, we invented human flight, the Super Bowl, the Interstate Highway , the transcontinental railroad, and Rock ‘n’ Roll.  But perhaps we’re not as advanced as we like to think.  Perhaps innovations in transportation , land use, and energy consumption are much more evenly distributed around the world than we ever thought possible.  Indeed, perhaps America is closer to the middle or bottom of the pyramid when it comes to transportation investments.  What lessons can America learn from the rest of the world in terms of transportation developments that are safe, efficient, cost-effective, and sustainable?”

      Organization: An informal group initiative being organized under the editorial direction of Eric Britton and the New Mobility Agenda. The idea is to tap the rich backgrounds, knowledge  and imaginations of the more than two thousand colleagues and groups who regularly share information, ideas and materials under the various focus programs of the Agenda. Colleagues around the world are being invited to share their thoughts and recommendations in succinct form as a group compilation, being organized and presented by Britton who has been invited to serve as one of the panel members, with a particular responsibility for providing international coverage of perspectives.

      Background:  Selected contributions to be posted to National Journal 2009 Transportation Expert  Panel: http://transportation.nationaljournal.com/ to open up this question on Monday a.m., 26 Jan. 2009

      Submittal deadline – Friday, 23 January 2009

      Subject heading:  “What lessons can America learn from the rest of the world . . .?” (kindly retain this heading exactly for Search purposes, see below)

      Post your proposed recommendation to: editor@...

      Submittal format (As below, kindly respect):

      1.     Message from (Country name)

      2.     Subject line (10 words max. to set stage for entry)

      3.     Text: 250 words max!!! (Yes I know it’s hard)

      4.     URL Ref: (As available to support your entry)

      5.     Signature block (3 lines, my example)

      Eric Britton – eric.britton@...

      New Mobility Partnerships – www.newmobility.org

      Paris, France

      Updates: It upon reflection and/or  upon reviewing the other commentaries you wish to modify your original presentation, please send your revised text to editor@...

      Sharing this invitation: Please do if you have colleagues or lists whom you think may be able to come up with additional ideas and entries.