Information on transportation activity in India

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2009

      On Behalf Of Aashish Gupta

      Dear All

      I am currently assisting Professor Sudhir Chella Rajan on a project with the aim of creating energy scenarios for India. I have the task of estimating energy use in transport (and then creating scenarios), using activity levels of different modes and their average energy intensities.

      I am running into some problems, hence this mail.

      As a part of this Project, I need to know the activity levels of cycling and walking (in BPKM) for the whole of India. I have not come across this kind of Data even for Indian Cities, and most studies mention just the modal share for cycling and walking and ownership percentages for cycles.

      If some study would have surveyed the average trip length by walk/cycle and also provided the total number of trips by cycle/walk (or total number of trips in a city along with modal shares of walk and cycle) it would be possible to calculate activity levels for cycling and walking. Unfortunately, I have not come across any such study.

      Even if such data would be available, my concern here is with the activity levels for the whole of India, not for some specific cities. It is unclear to me how I am going to do this, though assigning weights to different kinds of cities may reveal a crude estimate. That estimate will still exclude usage in rural India.

      Does anyone know of any study that has attempted to find answers to any of these questions?

      Also, has any one calculated/estimated the usage of diesel and petrol cars? Data on total travel by cars is available, but not data that differentiates between travel by diesel and petrol cars. We need this data to work out the scenarios.

      With thanks

      Aashish

      Aashish Gupta
      Student of Development Studies
      Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
      Indian Institute of Technology Madras
      Chennai 600036
      +91 9884774698
      aashu.gupta20@...