Is it too late ?

  • Simon Norton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2008
      A couple of comments on the Guardian article referred to (which I had already
      seen through another e-group).

      1. A recession is a very inefficient way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The
      intricacy of our economy makes it akin to selling a valuable painting as
      firewood.

      I believe, and have said before, that the ultimate cause of our current economic
      recession is the failure of governments and people across the world to respond
      to the imbalance between oil demand and supply which led to the recent price
      spike. This spike was the first manifestation of Peak Oil. Enough US money
      flowed out of the country to the oil producing countries to lead to a crisis of
      confidence in the US credit industry, which spread across the world.

      Is this a reasonable reading of events ? If so, can we get an influential
      economist to say so in public ? This might, just might, lead to the action which
      Robin Chase is called for.

      2. I think that UK decision makers too have their head in the sand. We are still
      planning massive expansion projects for the aviation and inter-urban road
      transport industries -- see
      <http://www.bettertransport.org.uk/campaigns/climate_change> and links
      thereffrom. In my area the Highways Agency has just exhibited its plans for the
      third most damaging road proposal (A14) which were even worse than I had feared
      in that almost all the advantages which could have accrued from a better planned
      scheme, which our group might have supported at least if the original cost
      estimate had been maintained, have vanished.

      Simon Norton