RTC Seeks Active Transportation Projects- Funding and Training Opportunities!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2008
      Alta Planning + Design : Special Notice

      RTC Seeks Active Transportation Projects

      Submissions Due Monday, 12/15/08 - 12:00pm ET

      In Alta's October eNewsletter we told you about RTC's Campaign for Active Transportation. Here's an update from RTC and a new goal for project submissions:

      Thank you for the strong response to our October call for ready-to-go bicycle or pedestrian projects for possible inclusion in the federal economic recovery package. With our national partners, we collected hundreds of projects that total $1.2 billion. Parameters have since expanded, and we are again seeking active transportation project submissions.

      The recovery package will likely be $700 billion or more, aiming to create and maintain 2.5 million jobs over the next two years. This framing is significantly different than previous estimates of $300 billion over a few months—hence our renewed call for projects.

      Please submit projects to Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) by visiting our online submission page:

      http://support.railstotrails.org/submissions

      Guidelines:

      1. Projects should be at least $100,000;
      2. RTC must receive submissions by Dec. 15 at noon, eastern time;
      3. There is no need to resubmit projects already proposed; and
      4. Projects should be able to be completed between four months and two years.

      Political Background:

      Congress is considering multiple scenarios for how to distribute the infrastructure funds in this economic recovery package (expected to pass in late January). The House approach simply passes all the money to state Departments of Transportation (DOTs). This course of action will not yield optimal results for active transportation. We face the threat of being left out by funding priorities that follow the mistakes of the past half-century. Your submissions help us make the case with congressional leaders that active transportation projects are in high demand and deserve to be a priority.

      Thank you.

      Rails-to-Trails Conservancy

      P.S. You can help in another way. RTC is currently running an online petition encouraging Congress to specifically fund active transportation projects in the recovery package. We have one week left to hit our target of 10,000 signatures, and we are very close! Please use all applicable lists or newsletters to encourage others to sign the petition—after doing so yourself! You can find the petition online at:

      http://support.railstotrails.org/recovery

      SmartTrips Webinar

      Please join us on December 17th for Jessica Roberts' virtual presentation "Bring SmartTrips Home," hosted by the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals (APBP). SmartTrips is a great program model that can reduce drive-alone trips by 10% at a cost of about $20 per household.

      SmartTrips programs use individualized marketing to change trip behavior by offering information and support for shifting some car trips to walking, bicycling and transit trips. Webinar participants will learn about evaluating their communities, resources to find out if SmartTrips is the right approach, which materials, maps and incentives are most effective and why, how to find the right tone and message, evaluation instruments, and how to modify Portland's program for other locales. Webinar presenters are Linda Ginenthal, who oversees Portland's SmartTrips program from her post as manager of the Transportation Options Division at Portland DOT, and Jessica Roberts, Alta Planning + Design, who is working to implement SmartTrips for NTPP communities.

      More information:
      APBP webinar "Bring SmartTrips Home"
      Wednesday, December 17, 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. ET
      Register for webinars at http://www.bikewalk.org/webinar.php. Cost is $50 per site for APBP members; $60 per site for non-APBP members. You can arrange payment with Deb Goeks at the APBP office at (262) 228-7025, or e-mail her at deb@....

      Cycle Zones Webinar

      On January 21st Mia Birk will join Portland Bicycle Coordinator Roger Geller for "Cycle Zone Analysis (CZA), A New Bicycle Transportation Planning Tool," discussing how this tool helps Portland planners more accurately assess and improve cycling conditions.

      The Cycle Zones Analysis webinar looks at a tool used by planners in Portland (Ore.) as they moved away from that city's eight traditional planning areas - defined largely by political boundaries - and instead divided the city into 32 "cycle zones" which describe distinct micro-environments for bicycling. Participants will learn how to define cycle zones, develop a bikeway rating index, and use the resulting analysis to improve cycling conditions. Geller and Birk will discuss adapting the Cycle Zone Analysis tool to other locales, and what would be required to implement this planning tool in your community.

      More information:
      APBP webinar "Cycle Zone Analysis (CZA), A New Bicycle Transportation Planning Tool"
      Wednesday, January 21, 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. ET
      Register for webinars at http://www.bikewalk.org/webinar.php. Cost is $50 per site for APBP members; $60 per site for non-APBP members. You can arrange payment with Deb Goeks at the APBP office at (262) 228-7025, or e-mail her at deb@....

      About Alta
          Founded in 1996 and specializing in transportation, recreation, and innovation including bicycle, pedestrian and trail projects, Alta Planning + Design is now the leading firm of its kind in the United States. Our staff includes over 40 planners, engineers, and landscape architects in five states providing a wide array of services. We specialize in:

      Rails-With-Trails
      Trail Planning
      Trail Design
      Engineering
      Traffic Calming

      Bicycle Master Plans
      Pedestrian Master Plans
      Trail Master Plans
      Environmental Documentation
      Geographic Information Systems (GIS)

      Sign Plans
      Safe Routes to School
      Bicycle Maps
      Bike Facilities
      Transit Access

      www.altaplanning.com  ~  toll free (877) 347-5417  ~  info@...
      California  | Pacific Northwest  | East Coast  | Western States  | Midwest

      Image removed by sender. Email Marketing Software

      Image removed by sender.