Two Billion Cars: Driving Toward Sustainability

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2008

      Our friend and colleague of long date Dan Sperling has just completed, with Deborah Gordon as co-pilot,  a visit to a planet of two billion cars. Brrh. They talk fuel efficiency and technology, but fortunately leave room for more deep cutting transportation reforms as well (our basic game plan here). Read all about it. Eric Britton

      Two Billion Cars

      Driving Toward Sustainability

      Daniel Sperling and Deborah Gordon
      Foreword by Arnold Schwarzenegger

      bookshotAdd to Cart

      ISBN13: 9780195376647ISBN10: 0195376641 hardback, 320 pages

      Dec 2008,  In Stock due Dec 14 2008

      Price:

      $24.95 (02)

      Description

      At present, there are roughly a billion motor vehicles in the world. Within twenty years, the number will double to 2 billion, largely a consequence of China's and India's explosive growth. Given that greenhouse gases are already creating havoc with our climate and that violent conflict in oil-rich nations is on the rise, does this mean that matters will only get worse? Or are there hopeful signs that effective, realistic solutions can be found?
      In Two Billion Cars, transportation experts Daniel Sperling and Deborah Gordon provide a concise history of America's love affair with cars and an overview of the global oil and auto industries. America is still the leading emissions culprit, and what is especially worrying is that developing nations are becoming car-centric cultures as well. The authors explain how we arrived in this dangerous state, and also what we can do about it. Sperling and Gordon expose the roots of the problem-- the resistant auto-industry, dysfunctional oil markets, short-sighted government policies, and unmotivated consumers. They zero in on reforming our gas-guzzling culture, expanding the search for low-carbon fuels, environment-friendly innovations in transportation planning, and more. Promising advances in both transportation technology and fuel efficiency together with shifts in travel behavior, they suggest, offer us a realistic way out of our predicament.

      Ironically, the authors contend that the two places with the most troublesome emissions problems--California and China-- are taking the lead in developing effective strategies that can help wean us from our reliance on conventional, petroleum-fueled cars. California's embrace of eco-friendly policies, which Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger discusses in the foreword, and China's willingness to confront the twin environmental and energy crises wrought by an exponential growth in cars, suggest that if they can develop ingenious and effective solutions, then there really is reason for hope.

      Reviews

      "An urgent wake-up call ...The authors have laid out a blueprint the entire world can use."--Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (from the Foreword)

      "In this insightful and persuasive book, Sperling and Gordon highlight one of the biggest environmental challenges of this century: two billion cars. They rightly contend that we cannot avert the worst of global warming without making our cars cleaner and petroleum-free. Luckily the authors also offer a roadmap for navigating this problem that is both visionary and achievable."--Frances Beinecke, President, Natural Resources Defense Council

      "The future of mobility should concern every citizen and government official. We have to tackle this together, but weve not been good at it, except in crisis. Now is the time to move forward. Two Billion Cars provides inspiration and a compelling pathway."--John D. Hofmeister, Former President, Shell Oil company, and Founder and CEO, Citizens for Affordable Energy

      "The authors make a compelling and urgent fact-based case that we must quickly expand the universe of affordable, low-impact transportation options if we are to survive the doubling of the worlds cars. They show how a combination of leadership, smart policy, the unleashing of a can-do technological revolution, and carefully understanding consumer motivations will save the day. It's a must-read for anyone eager to be part of the solution."--Kevin Knobloch, President, Union of Concerned Scientists

      "Provocative and pleasurable, far-seeing and refreshing, fact-based and yet a page-turner, global in scope but rooted in real places. The authors make a convincing case that smart consumers driving smart electric-drive cars can find the critical path to a safer planet."--Robert Socolow, Princeton University

      "This book provides with considerable objectivity and foresight an analysis of the unsustainable pattern of transportation that human society has become accustomedindeed addictedto. In very simple terms the authors deal with the profound issues arising from the growing human desire for locomotion and mobility."--R.K. Pachauri, Chairman, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

      Product Details

      320 pages; 33 b/w illus.; 6-1/8 x 9-1/4; ISBN13: 978-0-19-537664-7ISBN10: 0-19-537664-1

      About the Author(s)

      Daniel Sperling is Professor of Engineering and Environmental Science & Policy at the University of California, Davis, and Founding Director of University of California, Davis's Institute of Transportation Studies. He also serves on the California Air Resources Board, chairs the Future of Mobility Council of the Davos World Economic Forum, and has authored 10 books and over 200 technical papers and reports on transportation and energy.

      Deborah Gordon is a senior transportation policy analyst who has provided consulting services to the National Commission on Energy Policy, the California Energy Commission, Hewlett Foundation, and the Chinese government to develop fiscal policies for their burgeoning auto fleet. She earlier served as director of transportation and energy programs at the Union of Concerned Scientists, senior research scholar at the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, and a chemical engineer at Chevron.