data search: city energy, air pollution, transport

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 15, 2002
      Can anyone help Takatsugu ?

      Subject: data regarding to city energy and air pollution performance and
      the transportation network

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Takatsugu Kobayashi [mailto:tk0126@...]
      Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 8:52 PM
      To: wtpp-editors@...
      Subject: Urgent Help please for my project

      To whom it may concern:

      I am currently a first year master student at Yale School of Forestry
      and
      Environmental Studies studying urban environmental planning and
      management.
      My primary interest is the linkage between the transportation network
      and
      people's transport modal choices, therby impacting energy use and air
      pollution concentrations in the urban areas. I am currently collecting
      and
      analyzing the datasets of the cities selected based on the website
      http://www.metroplanet.net My project is based on the assumption that
      the
      more mobililty the transportation network provides the residents, the
      more
      energy-effieciency and less air pollution concentrations each urban city
      can
      attain. Due to the global trend of heavy dependence on the automobiles
      have
      impacted the urban areas. I would like to explore the above trends in
      the
      cities I selected and compare the city performance, and hopefully make a
      recommendation on the transportation planning to enhance the city
      ecological
      performance.

      Hence, I wonder if you or any institution you might know have any pieces
      of
      data regarding to the city energy and air pollution performance and the
      transnportation network (e.g. the number of stations available in each
      area
      of the urbanized city settings: Central Business District, Inner City,
      and
      Suburban City Area, the number of tranfer stations, and so on) I truly
      appreciate if you could help me with the data or refer my project to any
      one
      you know that specialize in the urban transportation/environmental
      planning
      agencies.

      I appreciate your time.

      Thank you very much.

      Sincerely,

      Takatsugu Kobayashi
      Candidate for Master in Environmental Management
      Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies
      takatsugu.kobayashi@...
    • Roger Gorham
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 15, 2002
        Takatsugu,

        The good news is that there probably is a database that at least could
        begin to meet your needs: the Newman and Laube ("Millenium Cities")
        Database. They've looked at 100 cities around the globe, and partitioned
        city-regions along the same lines as you have suggested. The bad news is
        that it isn't cheap; it costs about 1000 euro, so you'd probably have to
        convince your department to buy it. It's available from the
        International Association of Public Transport (UITP).

        I'm not sure I completely understand what you describe as the underlying
        assumptions of this project, but they may not be valid. You say that
        your assumption is that more "mobility" leads to more energy efficiency
        and less air pollutant emissions. You will need to clearly define what
        you mean by "mobility" and "energy efficiency" in order for that
        assumption to have any meaning. Many people (mistakenly) use the terms
        "mobility" and "accessibility" interchangeably. If you actually mean
        "accessibility" (i.e. enhancing the capacity of households to access
        goods, services, information, and activities) then your assumptions may
        make sense, depending on how you measure accessibility. If you mean
        mobility in its literal sense (i.e. enhancing the ability of people to
        move around), then your assumption is much more problematic. If people
        need to travel more to meet their daily needs, then a reduction in
        per-mile-driven emissions of CO2 and local pollutants may not translate
        into an actual reduction per capita or per unit of GDP. (Again, how are
        you measuring energy efficiency?)

        Roger Gorham

      • Todd Litman
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 16, 2002
          You may want to review the following chapters in our Online TDM
          Encyclopedia (http://www.vtpi.org/tdm):

          "Transportation Statistics" http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm80.htm

          "Automobile Dependency" http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm100.htm

          "Energy and Emission Reduction Strategies" http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm59.htm