Latest News on Road Crashes is Depressing

  • itf.contact@oecd.org
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2008

      From: ITF.contact@... [mailto:ITF.contact@...]
      Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:27 AM
      Subject: Press Release: The Latest News on Road Crashes is Depressing

      Postal address   2 rue André Pascal, F-75775 Paris Cedex 16
      Office address   2/4 rue Louis David, F-75016 Paris
      Tel. 33 (0)1 45 24 95 96   Fax 33 (0)1 45 24 13 22

      itf.contact@... <mailto:itf.contact@...>
      www.internationaltransportforum.org <http://www.internationaltransportforum.org>

      Press Release

      Paris, 20 November 2008

      The Latest News on Road Crashes is Depressing

      International Transport Forum Presents the Latest Available Data on Road Crashes

      "The latest news on road crashes is depressing" said the Secretary General of the International Transport Forum Jack Short today in Paris, as he presented the most recent data from the International Transport Forum.

      Over 150 000 people lost their lives and a further 6 million people were injured in road crashes in the 44 countries of the Forum that reported data for 2007.

      Road deaths per capita vary by a factor of almost 8 across the countries. "This is what is most depressing", said Short, "the measures and policies to reduce crashes and fatalities are well known. If all countries had fatality rates like Japan, Norway, UK or the Netherlands more than 80 000 lives would be saved".

      Looking regionally, Central and Eastern Europe both show significant increases in fatalities. Rapid motorisation is a factor in the region but the figures show "the lack of continuous and determined political effort" in these countries, according to Short.

      In Western Europe, the picture is more mixed but the recent decline in fatalities has slowed and the 1.2% decline in 2007 fatalities is the smallest for the last 5 years. Moreover, in Western Europe the number of casualties and the number of injury accidents have increased "a sure sign that we are not making our road system safer" said the Secretary General.

      Better news comes from countries outside Europe where there have been small reductions in fatalities, casualties and injury accidents in the major countries. The US reduced both injury accidents and casualties for the seventh consecutive year; Japan's striking improvement makes it now the best performing country in the International Transport Forum with 45 fatalities per million inhabitants.

      In Western Europe the number of road traffic fatalities declined in 2007 by 1.2%. However this decrease was accompanied by a rise in both the number of casualties (+1.4%) and the number of accidents (+5.6%). These data are strongly influenced by the performance of Turkey which has shown significant increases in all three indicators. In 2007, only the United Kingdom and Greece recorded drops in the number of fatalities, casualties and injury accidents. At the same time Denmark, Finland and Sweden have seen their road fatalities increase by 32.7%, 13.1% and 5.8% respectively.

      In Central and Eastern Europe the number of road fatalities increased by 6.4% in 2007. This result is all the more disappointing since the region recorded at the same time strong increases in the number of casualties (+6.4%) and number of accidents (+6.7%). With the exception of Bulgaria, Estonia, Hungary and Lithuania, which show a drop in road fatalities, casualties and injury accidents, all other countries have been confronted with a rise in the number of fatalities on their roads. Countries like the Czech Republic and Romania saw their fatalities increase by 15% and 12.8% respectively.

      In 2007, the Community of Independent States (CIS) recorded a strong rise of its road fatalities by 8.2%, breaking the positive signs recorded in the last few years. With the exception of Russia (+1.8%) the number of persons killed on roads increased strongly in all countries, and particularly in Ukraine with +38.1%.

      As far as non European members of the ITF are concerned, they continue to show encouraging results in 2007, recording a drop of 3.1% in the number of fatalities, 2.8% in the number of casualties and 3.3% in the number of injury accidents. Only Mexico and New Zealand are showing a strong rise in road fatalities (+10% and 7.9% respectively). The number of casualties and injury accidents are also increasing in these two countries.

      Behind these global figures there are significant variations from one country to another, as the following tables show:

      Road fatalities in 2007

      Western Europe

      Number of fatalities

      2007/2006 %

      Austria

      691

      -5.3

      Belgium

      1 067

      -0.2

      Denmark

      406

      32.7

      Finland

      380

      13.1

      France

      4 620

      -1.9

      Germany

      4 949

      -2.8

      Greece

      1 578

      -4.8

      Iceland

      15

      -51.6

      Luxembourg

      43

      19.4

      Malta

      12

      9.1

      Netherlands

      791

      -2.5

      Norway

      233

      -3.7

      Portugal

      854

      0.5

      Spain

      3 823

      -6.8

      Sweden

      471

      5.8

      Switzerland

      384

      3.8

      Turkey

      5 004

      8.0

      United Kingdom

      3 059

      -7.2

      Total

      28 380

      -1.2

      Central and Eastern Europe

      Number of fatalities

      2007/2006 %

      Albania

      384

      38.6

      Bulgaria

      1 006

      -3.5

      Croatia

      619

      0.8

      Czech Republic

      1 222

      15.0

      Estonia

      196

      -3.9

      FYROM

      173

      23.6

      Hungary

      1 232

      -5.4

      Latvia

      419

      2.9

      Lithuania

      740

      -2.6

      Poland

      5 583

      6.5

      Romania

      2 794

      12.8

      Serbia

      962

      6.9

      Slovakia

      661

      8.7

      Slovenia

      293

      11.8

      Total

      16 284

      6.4

      CIS countries

      Number of fatalities

      2007/2006 %

      Azerbaijan

      1 107

      7.8

      Georgia

      737

      9.2

      Moldova

      464

      21.5

      Russia

      33 308

      1.8

      Ukraine

      9 481

      38.1

      Total

      45 097

      8.2

      Other ITF

      Number of fatalities

      2007/2006 %

      Australia

      1 616

      1.1

      Canada

      2 729

      -5.6

      Japan

      5 744

      -9.6

      Korea

      6 166

      -2.5

      Mexico

      5 398

      10.0

      New Zealand

      422

      7.9

      United States

      41 059

      -3.9

      Total

      63 134

      -3.1

      Aggregates

      Number of fatalities

      2007/2006 %

      OECD1

      106 234

      -1.8

      EU2

      42 924

      0.2

      ITF1,3

      158 929

      1.3

      1)  For Italy and Ireland, the number of fatalities refers to the year 2006.

      2)  Cyprus is not included.

      3)  Armenia, Belarus, Bosnia, Montenegro, are not included.

      More detailed information on latest trends will be available on the Forum website in December 2008 (www.internationaltransportforum.org) and in the forthcoming publication “Trends in the Transport Sector, 1970-2007”. This information may be reproduced, provided the ITF is quoted as the source.

      Contact: Michael Zirpel

      Director of Communications

      International Transport Forum

      Tel. +(33-1) 45 24 95 96

      michael.zirpel@...

    • Morten Lange
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 21, 2008
        Hi

        I want to point to a fallacy or oversimplification, ( on my mind) in the text, that needs to be countered, at least in part :

        "the measures and policies to reduce crashes and fatalities are well known. If all countries had fatality rates like Japan, Norway, UK or the Netherlands more than 80 000 lives would be saved".

        The South should rather leapfrog past the concrete-, fences and highway-, super expensive and resource-wasting "solutions" of those rich nations.

        The realisations that Todd Litman pointed to recently need much more traction than they have gotten so far :

        Rethinking transportation safety
        http://www.planetizen.com/node/36138

        The opening sentences :
        A paradigm shift is changing the way we think about transportation safety. In the past, traffic safety experts evaluated risk using distance-based units (traffic crashes and casualties per 100 million vehicle-miles or billion vehicle-kilometers), which ignores increases in vehicle traffic as a risk factor, and mobility management as a safety strategy. Yet, we now have overwhelming evidence that the amount people drive has a major impact on their chance of being injured or killed in a traffic accident.

        Also check out this article on the car-centric raod safety lobby:
        http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2007/05/15/car-nage/

        Best Regards,
        Moten