Re: WorldTransport Forum Support for car industry

  • Morten Lange
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2008
      Hi,

      I'd say that is the wrong question.  We can ask till we get blue and black in the face to little or no avail.  What about pointing to :
      - The great costs (externalities)  that cars incur ?
      - Best practices / examples of taxing, that works
      - Examples of traffic evaporation etc thsat work
      - UNCED 7 Rio 1992 principle of polluter pays

      What other good sources are out there in the same vein as "The real cost of gasoline"  (google it) ?

      I do agree with the Esperanto Swede ( Matrin Strid), though, that increasing taxes at this particular moment might be very difficult.
      But what about positive measures ?  Like Transport planning, giving incentives to those that travel to work and during the working day by other means than in private / company cars  ?

      And pointing to the multiple benefits of alternative transport  not least for personal / family finances should get lots more goodwil in newspapers etc now, if we are willing to write in.

      Best Regards,
      Morten

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 29, 2008

        In the 1980s much of the US Industry supported a 50 cent/gallon gasoline tax increase – as a way of heading off stronger fuel economy standards.

        Lee Schipper, Ph.D

        Project Scientist

        Global Metropolitan Studies

        2614 Dwight Way 2nd floor
        University of California Berkeley

        CA 94720-1782 USA

        TEL +1 510 642 6889

        FAX +1 510 642 6061
        CELL +1 202 262 7476

        skype: mrmeter

        http://metrostudies.berkeley.edu/

        Senior Research Engineer

        Precourt Institute for Energy Efficiency

        Stanford University

        Senior Analyst Emeritus

        EMBARQ, the WRI Center for Sustainable Transport