Support for car industry

  • S.Norton@dpmms.cam.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2008
      Can we ask that any support for the car industry should come from an
      increase in motoring taxes ?

      Simon Norton
    • Morten Lange
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 29, 2008
        Hi,

        I'd say that is the wrong question.  We can ask till we get blue and black in the face to little or no avail.  What about pointing to :
        - The great costs (externalities)  that cars incur ?
        - Best practices / examples of taxing, that works
        - Examples of traffic evaporation etc thsat work
        - UNCED 7 Rio 1992 principle of polluter pays

        What other good sources are out there in the same vein as "The real cost of gasoline"  (google it) ?

        I do agree with the Esperanto Swede ( Matrin Strid), though, that increasing taxes at this particular moment might be very difficult.
        But what about positive measures ?  Like Transport planning, giving incentives to those that travel to work and during the working day by other means than in private / company cars  ?

        And pointing to the multiple benefits of alternative transport  not least for personal / family finances should get lots more goodwil in newspapers etc now, if we are willing to write in.

        Best Regards,
        Morten

        Can we ask that any support for the car industry should come from an
        increase in motoring taxes ?

        Simon Norton

      • Lee Schipper
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 29, 2008

          In the 1980s much of the US Industry supported a 50 cent/gallon gasoline tax increase – as a way of heading off stronger fuel economy standards.

          Lee Schipper, Ph.D

          Project Scientist

          Global Metropolitan Studies

          2614 Dwight Way 2nd floor
          University of California Berkeley

          CA 94720-1782 USA

          TEL +1 510 642 6889

          FAX +1 510 642 6061
          CELL +1 202 262 7476

          skype: mrmeter

          http://metrostudies.berkeley.edu/

          Senior Research Engineer

          Precourt Institute for Energy Efficiency

          Stanford University

          Senior Analyst Emeritus

          EMBARQ, the WRI Center for Sustainable Transport