Knoogle 1.0 progress

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2008

      [Kindly share this note if you think it might be useful/]

      1.     Work is proceeding apace with our colleagues from the Center for Advancing Research and Solutions for Society at the University of Michigan under the leadership of Sue Zielinski, director of the SMART program.

      2.     As a reminder just in case, you can pick it up at http://knoogle.net .

      3.     The present work consists of a careful screening and identification of what is to now more than 400 carefully selected sites, covering the key programs and sources active in the area.

      4.     Sue alliteratively asks that Knoogle be useful as a way to pick out the key . . . programs, projects, people, places, processes and publications.  Hmm. We are working on it.

      5.     One area that will need attention in the next stage is the matter of the so-called “refinements”, basically nests of keywords that dip into the initial call-up and then work to further ferret out the links that treat that particular sub-set.

      a.     An example is “Public transport”, which calls up references from a cluster of key words that at this point include: "public transport",  bus,  rail,  tram,  BRT,  metro,  subway,  Mobilien,  "public transit",  "bus lanes",  "priority lanes", "bus priority",  HOV,  BRTS,  LRT

      b.    The Paratransit refinement looks for: xTransit OR paratransit,  DRT,  carpool,  taxi,  "demand responsive*",  vanpool,  carshare,  carsharing,  “car club”,  “shared car”,  "computerized dispatching",  hitchhiking,  ride-sharing,  slugging,  pedicab,  rickshaw*,  "dynamically routed",  colectivo

      c.     Fair transport screens for: elderly,  handicapped,  "low income",  disabled,  unemployed,  underserved

      6.     I think that one good way to get a feel for its eventual value – and its limitations of which we hope you will tell us – is to search for a place that you might wish to know more about, new mobility-wise (as it were).And then once there to look at some of those refinements (the remainder are still very rough).

      But I of course can’t tell you anything about searching on the web that you don’t know better than I, so let me leave you with this interim progress report and invite you to share with us your views, suggestions, and counsel.

      In the hope that Knoogle may in time and with work become a useful addition to your toolkit.

      Eric Britton

      PS.  Once we get the English version in shape, we intend then to turn in order to a dedicated Knoogle for Spanish – www.es.knoogle.net  -- and French – www.fr.knoogle.net. With, I hope, www.po.knoogle.net not too far behind.