RE: WorldTransport Forum CARBON PRICING AND DRIVING.

  • Lee Schipper
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2008

      A bit more explanation (the diagrams were not mine but can be seen in each nation’s inventory). Chris raises other good points.

      The “fossil fuels”, e.g., fuel cycle burden for fuels AND electricity from power stations should be distributed. The IEA provides it that way if you like. Agree cars may show up there, but no one thinks the numbers will be big for a very long time because most (sane) electric cars will be small, slow, and stay close to home.

      Manufacturing is decidedly NOT 1/3 automobiles – I don’t have the full inventory, but per $ autos are NOT carbon intensive products – while they contain a few thousand dollars of raw materials, increasingly they contain knowledge – computers etc – whose carbon footprints per $ of value are small.  And ( fortunately) most of our economy does not engage in making motor vehicles. (I’m counting imported cars here implicit). Missing from our manufacturing is the CO2 for making a few hundred billion dollars of surplus imports, mostly from China..

      Land Use and biomass burning – aka deforestation – is less significant in the US but VERY significant in brasil. Either CO is released when we till or burn existing biomass,  OR the capacity to absorb CO2 is reduced when we chop down valuable forests unsustainably for wood or clear any kind of plant material for development or just less CO2 absorbing activities, like raising beef.

      The residential and commercial – density connection is a good one. American’s have 65 sq meters per person of home living space, subsidized by almost unrestricted deduction of mortgage interest from taxes – at least until mortgages became worthless an important stimulus of larger homes and, imho, greater sprawl to find room for larger homes.

      Agriculture in the US IS a facet of our lifestyles (see Oct 12 NY Times Sunday mag on this matter) – not simply the amount of beef we eat, but the way we eat it that requires so much force fed, aka feedlot beef. California grows rice on subsidized water, and what we don’t’ grow we bring in from around the world. (Not to let Asia off the hook, but rice growing is a major GHG/ methane source, so are cows and sheep down under etc).

      The “problem” is not simply that Americans are for the most part rich, rather they are careless and have turned to carbon intensive ways of both producing and consuming wealth.  That may begin to change for many reasons, both the high cost of oil and sadly the high cost of living the way we live, which others call the financial meltdown!

      Lee Schipper, Ph.D

      Project Scientist

      Global Metropolitan Studies

      http://metrostudies.berkeley.edu/

      Street/Mail Address:

      2614 Dwight Way 2nd floor

      University of California Berkeley 94720-1782

      +1 510 642 6889,

      FAX +1 510 642 6061

      Cell +1 202 262 7476

      skype: mrmeter

      From Oct. 1, also

      Senior Research Engineer

      Precourt Institute for Energy Efficiency

      Stanford University

      Analyst Emeritus, EMBARQ,

      the WRI Center for Sustainable Transport