Re: WorldTransport Forum any data on increased cycling in response to increases in fuel prices?

  • Dave Holladay
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24, 2008
      One only has to note the increase in cycle carriage on most US transit routes many have seen a doubling or patronage with cycles in the past 3-4 months I reckon a quick google of bikes on bus and increase should do it....

      Other indicators could be bike theft - rising

      Bike crash rates not totals will show significant drops - but that rather depends on accurate counting of cyclists....and if the administrators are not counting these properly

      ] On Behalf Of Walter Hook
      Sent: Friday, 22 August 2008 18:04

      Does anyone have any data on increased bicycle or cycle rickshaw use in
      response to escalating fuel prices?

      Best
      Walter

      Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:26:22 +0700
      From: Sunny <sksunny@...>
      Subject: [sustran] Re: Right to Walk and Pollution in Hyd: Interesting
        read
      To: kanthikannan@...
      Cc: NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com, sustran-discuss@...

         Dear Kanthi,

      Thanks a lot for the reference.

      I am doubtful on how having pedestrian crossings will increase traffic
      speeds, unless such crossing mean building over-bridges - which take space
      from the foot-paths and worsen the pain of pedestrians to cross a road.

      The

      argument is simple "Why should a pedestrian climb up and down a (long)
      bridge, just for a car to go fast?"

      Since you belong to the Right to Walk foundation, it would be great if you
      can lobby for the pedestrians and cyclists and against the FOB it would be

      great step.

      Mixing traffic might not be a bad idea unless done in a very fashionable
      way, see the concept of shared space for more info. There are cases of
      reduced accidents and better driver behaviour in areas with shared space.

      Also in terms of pollution, the FOB's use cement and need extra lighting
      (electricity) which are good contributors for pollution and so are widened
      roads

      It will be very useful for the group (and esp. for myself) if you can
      elaborate on the short term and long term measures that you were talking

      of

      in Hyderabad.

      thanks again for the mail and best of luck!
      cheers
      sunny

      Kanthi Kannan wrote:

      http://www.epa.gov/ies/pdf/india/iesfinal_0405.pdf

      The study in the link given above is a well documented effort by a US

      agency

      and an Indian agency about the various facets of pollution control.
      Throughout the Study one of the major pollution reduction strategies
      suggested is Separation of Vulnerable Road Users (Provision of Footpath).
      I quote: "The intermixing of vehicles and pedestrian movements in the
      absence of footpaths results in reduced speeds and increase in number of
      accidents. The provision of footpaths and pedestrian crossings and can
      reduce these conflicts to a great extent and increase the average speed."
      The statistics given in support of the suggestion is interesting to check.

      In Hyderabad, the Right to Walk Foundation is trying to check with the
      Andhra Pradesh Pollution Control Board (APPCB) as to whether any of these
      recommendations have been adopted?

      Needless to say that widened roads are replacing the existing footpaths
      because the authorities feel that widened roads are the solution for all
      traffic problems.

      We definitely need to take a few short term measures and a few long term
      strategies so that our city does not have the tag of the most polluted

      metro

      in the country.

      Kanthi Kannan

      The Right to Walk Foundation
      www.right2walk.com

      to join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The
      yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post
      to the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it
      seem like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

      SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred,
      equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing
      countries (the 'Global South').

       --

      *Santhosh (Sunny) Kodukula*

      Urban Transport Expert
      GTZ ? Sustainable Urban Transport Project (SUTP)
      0942, Transport and Tourism Division,
      UNITED NATIONS, ESCAP Building,
      Rajadamnern Nok Ave.,
      Bangkok 10200, THAILAND

      Ph: +66 (0)2 288 1321
      Fax: +66 (0)2 280 6042
      Mob:+66 (0)84 113 0181
      Email: santhosh.kodukula [at] sutp.org
      Skype: sunny_nwho
      Web: http://www.sutp.org

      ------------------------------

      Message: 2
      Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:48:07 +0530
      From: "Sujit Patwardhan" <sujitjp@...>
        read
      To: "Kanthi Kannan" <kanthikannan@...>
      Cc: NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com,  Global 'South' Sustainable
        Transport <sustran-discuss@...>

      *

      I don't see much difference between short term measures and the long term
      ones. Basically whether in the short term or long we need:-

      -- radically improved adequate, efficient and affordable Public Transport
      -- safe, attractive and adequately wide pedestrian footpaths (not the same
      as Skywalks)
      -- safe, comfortable (good surface) and citywide bicycle paths. These need
      not be exclusive or protected ones on all the streets, ie in congested

      areas

      sharing the street with motor vehicles should be possible provided traffic
      calming is introduced and rigidly enforced. City bike scheme like Velib in
      Paris after thorough planning
      -- appropriate TDM measures to discourage use of personal auto vehicle use
      at least during peak hours - the usual options are tighter parking

      control,

      higher parking charges, congestion charging, auto vehicle-free areas,
      pollution taxes etc

      One should avoid talking in terms of short term and long term strategies

      as

      this gives too wide an option to an administration that isn't really keen

      do anything for sustainable transportation/new mobility but seems to be
      pre-programmed to build more and more facilities to reduce the problems

      for

      the auto vehicles. As a concrete example the Comprehensive Mobility Plan

      for

      Pune has a Trojan horse in form of a statement "flyovers may be built as

      an

      interim measure in view of many more people with higher incomes wanting to
      buy cars". In one of the meetings we asked the consultants if they were
      "interim" would they be demolished in a couple of years? The answer was of
      course a very uncomfortable smile (or a smirk)?? !!!!!

      Rest of the Mobility Plan talks the language of the National Urban

      Transport

      Policy (which said "People not vehicles" will be at the centre of mobility
      planning. It also said personal vehicles need to be discouraged and public
      transport pedestrians and cyclists given a boost).

      It's time to stop our city bosses from getting away with this kind of
      sabotage.

      --
      Sujit Patwardhan
      Parisar

      On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:37 AM, Kanthi Kannan
      <kanthikannan@...>wrote:

[...]

      sujitjp@...

      "Yamuna",
      ICS Colony,
      Ganeshkhind Road,
      Pune 411 007
      India
      Tel: +91 20 25537955
      Cell: +91 98220 26627
      Hon. Secretary:
      Parisar
      www.parisar.org
      Founder Member:
      PTTF
      (Pune Traffic & Transportation Forum)
      www.pttf.net

      ------------------------------

      Message: 3
      Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:43:37 +0800
      From: Sudhir <sudhir@...>
        read
      To: "Sujit Patwardhan" <sujitjp@...>
      Cc: NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com,  Global 'South' Sustainable
        Transport <sustran-discuss@...>

      Dear all,

      Any argument which brings better pedestrian infrastructure is fine with
      me. :-) (capacity, congestion .. if it gets the results).

      1-2 decades back it was small isolated flyovers and now its elevated
      roads and in  future......

      (I would dream of best pedestrian and cycle infrastructure integrated with
      eco-friendly mass transport systems implemented in cities :-))...

      Cheers

      Sudhir

      *

      <kanthikannan@...>wrote:

[...]

      Sudhir Gota
      Transport Specialist
      CAI-Asia Center
      Unit 3510, 35th Floor, Robinsons-Equitable Tower,
      ADB Avenue, Ortigas Center, Pasig City
      Metro Manila, Philippines 1605
      Tel: +63-2-395-2843
      Fax: +63-2-395-2846
      http://www.cleanairnet.org/caiasia
      Skype : sudhirgota

      ------------------------------

      Message: 4
      Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:48:07 +0530
      From: "Sujit Patwardhan" <sujitjp@...>
      Subject: [sustran] [NewMobilityCafe] Re: Right to Walk and Pollution
        in Hyd: Interesting read
      To: "Kanthi Kannan" <kanthikannan@...>
      Cc: NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com,  Global 'South' Sustainable
        Transport <sustran-discuss@...>

      *

      <kanthikannan@...>wrote:

[...]

      Message: 5
      Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:10:38 +0530
      From: "Kanthi Kannan" <kanthikannan@...>
        read
      To: "'Sudhir'" <sudhir@...>, "'Sujit Patwardhan'"
        <sujitjp@...>
      Cc: NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com,  'Global 'South' Sustainable
        Transport' <sustran-discuss@...>

      Dear all

      When I mentioned in my earlier mail that we need to look at both short

      term

      and long term measures, I think that I was not very clear with my

      statement.

      What I meant was that have goals that are achievable in the short term. 1.
      Like getting pedestrian crossings done at a few selected locations. 2. Get

      few footpaths cleared for use if not completely at least give enough

      access

      space. When we are talking about short term, the time frame is about 4 to

      6

      months.

      In our campaign unless, we are able to show some concrete progress people
      will not be willing to join our campaign. That is the reason for our
      concrete doables. We would ideally like to achieve all this and more as

      soon

      as possible.

      What Sri. Sujit ji has mentioned comes in our long term measures and hence
      goals.

      I agree that we need to look at the whole picture and not just at smaller
      parts and let the authorities not really put any thing into action.

      The major issues in Hyd are

      1.    Parking by Corporates: This is a Major issue in Hyd since even the
      larger Retail Outlets ( Reliance Fresh, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Reliance
      Communications, Vodaphone, MORE to name a few) do not have any parking

      place

      for customers and the vehicles are parked on the footpaths. We are shocked
      because these corporates talk so much about Social Responsibility and yet
      seem to be neglecting the basic pedestrian safety issue.
      2.    Lack of manned Pedestrian Crossings: There are many zebra lines
      drawn at various locations on each road but there is very little

      probability

      of any vehicle stopping at these places because of various reasons. Chief
      among them is the lack of implementation of the rule.
      3.    Height of Road dividers: The road dividers are pretty easy to cross
      and hence people jump over them and then run across the road. We are

      trying

      to get the authorities to make the road dividers higher so that people
      cannot cross the road where ever they want.

      Of course like all other Indian Cities, we have our quota of temples and
      mosques etc that take away our walking space and make us easy targets of

      the

      motorised drivers.

      Regards

      Kanthi

      The Right to Walk Foundation

      www.right2walk.com <http://www.right2walk.com/>

        _____

      www.parisar.org <http://www.parisar.org/>
      www.pttf.net <http://www.pttf.net/>

      Sudhir Gota
      Transport Specialist
      CAI-Asia Center
      Unit 3510, 35th Floor, Robinsons-Equitable Tower,
      ADB Avenue, Ortigas Center, Pasig City
      Metro Manila, Philippines 1605
      Tel: +63-2-395-2843
      Fax: +63-2-395-2846
      http://www.cleanairnet.org/caiasia
      Skype : sudhirgota

      ------------------------------

      Message: 6
      Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 05:17:51 -0500
      From: Carlosfelipe Pardo <carlosfpardo@...>
        read
      To: Sudhir <sudhir@...>
      Cc: NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com,  Global 'South' Sustainable
        Transport <sustran-discuss@...>

      Hi,

      In reading Kanthi's email, it seems that the important issue were to
      reduce congestion and emissions by increasing vehicle speeds... (!) From
      my point of view, it's better to actually concentrate on reducing
      demand, and in that way you won't need to segregate or to spend money on
      infrastructure, plus you won't have to force pedestrians to walk even
      more than they have to (detour factors for pedestrians in developing
      cities are much higher than for any other mode). For instance, take 20
      car drivers and put them in one bus: you'll have freed up road space,
      increased speeds and reduced pollution (per person, which is the
      important individual). Plus you can still stop and wait for pedestrians
      to cross without the need of a bridge. AND you will have spent less money!

      My point is that thinking of speed and throughput as a solution to
      congestion (and emissions) will not solve the problem, but rather worsen
      it in the long run (induced travel generates more traffic, thus more
      pollution, even at higher speeds). Thinking of speed per individual
      vehicle is always a problem (as is thinking about vehicles).

      But the point from Sudhir regarding a possibly "evolution" towards
      improvement (first flyovers, then pedestrian bridges, and in future even
      better) is well taken. Above may be the vision of what we want, and
      reality may take some time to adjust... but let's please always propose
      the vision, and then adjust it to reality!

      These issues are better explained in some publications of GTZ SUTP: NMT
      training document, Economic Instruments, Mobility Management. All are
      available from www.sutp.org .

      Best regards,

      Carlosfelipe Pardo
      Coordinador de Proyecto- Project Coordinator
      GTZ - Proyecto de Transporte Sostenible (SUTP, SUTP-LAC)
      Cl 93A # 14-17 of 708
      Bogot? D.C., Colombia
      Tel/fax:  +57 (1) 236 2309  Mobile: +57 (3)15 296 0662
      carlos.pardo@...        www.gtz.de
      (carlos.pardo@...   www.sutp.org )

      <kanthikannan@...>wrote:

[...]

      End of Sustran-discuss Digest, Vol 60, Issue 15
      the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The yahoogroups
      version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post to the real
      sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it seem like you can).
      Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

      SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred,
      equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries
      (the 'Global South').

      the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The yahoogroups
      version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post to the real
      sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it seem like you can).
      Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

      SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred,
      equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries
      (the 'Global South').

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: