Basic principles of the New Mobility Knowledge Environment networking project

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2008

      This new project is at http://www.knowledge.newmobility.org  and defines itself in terms of the following basic principles. I would be eager to have your comments and suggestions for fine-tuning (or frank abandonment if that’s your message) of this strategic framework.

      This project is defined by the following basic principles:

      1.     We are losing the climate war in a very big way - and we don't need to.

      2.     We are losing the fossil fuel, food, and resource wars – and we don't need to lose them either.

      3.     Transportation accounts for on the order of 20% of the climate problem -- more in the case of some of the others.

      4.     More than half of the world population today live in cities -- with more pouring in every day.

      5.     The vast majority of these people are poorly served by the existing transportation arrangements - and most the plans and projects in the pipeline offer zero prospect of the fundamental structural improvements that are needed.

      6.     A growing number of institutions and programs trying to make targeted contributions to deal with these challenges --some with fair resources and broad backing, most however working on bare bones budgets.

      7.     These programs and the people who make them up communicate with each other and collaborate with each other in a number of ways - but there is every reason to step up both by several orders of magnitude if we are to have a chance to rectify these fundamental planet and life threatening problems.

      8.     Communications and computer technologies offers the possibility to better network these programs, institutions and the people working with them - at low cost and very quickly.

      9.     The more unified, more deeply seated networking and sharing approach that would come out of these greatly heightened communications arrangements would improve their chances, individually and collectively, at getting to grips with the underlying challenges.

      10.  This project has the mission of opening up the dialogue that is needed to advance this very specific component of the sustainability agenda.

      11.  Dividend: This deepened and more universally accessible knowledge environment is for sure going to open up new project and service opportunities for entrepreneurs, both public, private and volunteer.

      *           *           *

      This is also to invite your active participation in the project as well. We are looking at some new tools that you may find useful in your own work.

      Kind thanks,

      Eric Britton

    • Anzir Boodoo
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2008
        On 21 Aug 2008, at 14:24, Eric Britton wrote:
        > This new project is at http://www.knowledge.newmobility.org and
        > defines itself in terms of the following basic principles. I would
        > be eager to have your comments and suggestions for fine-tuning (or
        > frank abandonment if that’s your message) of this strategic framework.

        It looks to me like it wants to be a Wiki. We don't need the Dewey
        Decimal system if everything's hyperlinked, although it makes more
        sense than the University library classification systems we have over
        here!

        --
        Anzir Boodoo, PhD student
        The Institute for Transport Studies, The University of Leeds, LEEDS