Does anyone else have any suggestions for "must read" resources that are right on target for Sustran-discuss?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2008

      Excellent and timely question Paul. Indeed we have been asking ourselves the same for some time.

      So . . . . we have been working on it for the last month under our New Mobility Partnerships  program, and if you click to http://www.knowledge.newmobility.org  you will see our present take. (Give it a bit of time to load since the PowerPoint presentation is pretty hefty.).  I have cut out the ‘contents’ and placed them at the end of this note, in case you are not able to access the full (big and slow, sorry!) site

      Big as it is – and I am trying very hard to keep it clean of programs and site that do not fit our (a) very practical, (b) low carbon/environmentally kind, (c) resource economical, (d) space efficient,  (e) near term, (f) present technology, (g) relatively low-cost, (h) social equity,  and of course (i) international policy and practice orientation – there are still some great sources out there that we still need to put our fingers on.

      My hope is, above all, that you will find some use in this – and every bit as much that all of you will come back with your additions, suggestions and critical remarks.

      I intend to keep working on this and you will always have the latest version at your service at http://www.knowledge.newmobility.org.

      Thanks for your help in this.

      Eric Britton

      On Behalf Of Paul Barter
      Sent: Wednesday, 6 August 2008 10:47
      To: sustran-discuss@...
      Subject: [Sustran] The City Fix Blog - well worth a read

      I have nothing to do with the City Fix Blog, in case you think this

      message is going to sound like an advertisement.

      But I think it should be a "must read" for anyone interested in urban

      transport policy in developing countries (the same focus as

      sustran-discuss in other words). Even though it has been going since Jan

      2007, I only found out about it a few months ago.

      Check it out at http://thecityfix.com/. It is a group blog with varied

      writers and was created by the folks at EMBARQ.

      Some notable recent items there include:

      *      Why Is TransMilenio Still So Special?

      < http://thecityfix.com/why-is-transmilenio-still-so-special  />

      *      Towards a Better BRT Taxonomy

      < http://thecityfix.com/towards-a-better-brt-taxonomy

      *      The Amazing Egg Laying Wool Milk Sow

      < http://thecityfix.com/the-amazing-egg-laying-wool-milk-sow

      *      A Look Inside Beijing's Subway

      < http://thecityfix.com/a-look-inside-beijings-subway

      *      From Busway to BRT < http://thecityfix.com/from-busway-to-brt

      Does anyone else have any suggestions for "must read" resources that are right on target for sustran-discuss?

      Paul

      Paul A. Barter | Assistant Professor | LKY School of Public Policy

      National University of Singapore | 469C Bukit Timah Road | Singapore

      259772 |

      Tel: +65-6516 3324 | Fax: +65-6778 1020 | paulbarter@... |

      http://www.spp.nus.edu.sg/Faculty_Paul_Barter.aspx

      Policy issues in urban transport:

      http://reinventingtransport.blogspot.com/

      New Mobility Partnerships:

      Building a Learning Community

      -          Http://www.knowledge.newmobility.org

      Contents: (Program links are clickable)

      1.  C40 - Large Cities Climate Leadership

      2.  City Fix

      3.  CIVITAS

      4.  Clean Air Initiative (CAI)

      5.  Climate Alliance of European Cities

      6.  Clinton Climate Initiative

      7.  Development Gateway

      8.  ELTIS

      9.  Embarq - Center for Sustainable Transport

      10. European Federation for Transport & Environment

      11. Global Alliance for EcoMobility

      12. global Transport Knowledge Partnership

      13. GTZ

      14. iNSnet Foundation

      15. International Transport Forum

      16. Institute for Transportation & Development Policy

      17. KonSULT

      18. Livable Streets Network

      19. New Mobility Agenda

      20. New Urbanism

      21. Polis

      22. Sustainable Cities Net

      23. Sustainable Urban Transport Project

      24. The PEP – Transport, Health & Environment

      25. Transport  Research Knowledge Centre

      26. Transumo

      27. Victoria Transport Policy Institute

      28. WHO – Transport and Health

      29. World Business Council for Sustainable Development

      30.  Next steps

      31.  Annexes

      New Mobility Agenda  -  The Commons  - 8 rue Joseph Bara, 75006 Paris, France  T:  +331 4326 1323

      New Mobility Partnerships  -   9440 Readcrest Drive,   Los Angeles, CA  90210     T: +1 310 601-8468