Doors of Perception: June 2008 - Mapping Ecosystem Services

    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2008
      Doors of Perception Report
      >From the frontiers of regenerative design
      June 2008
      by John Thackara

      CITY ECO LAB: YOUR BENCHMARK SUGGESTIONS PLEASE
      City Eco Lab, the "nomadic market of projects" that we are producing
      in November for the Cite du Design biennial, will put live projects
      from the St Etienne region side-by-side with best-practice projects
      from other parts of the world. Will you help by telling us about
      the best benchmark projects we might consider inviting to sit
      next to a St Etienne one?
      Question 1: we plan to map the resources of the St Etienne region,
      with a focus on ecosystem services and biodiversity, and human skills;
      where, in your experience, have maps of this kind been done really well?
      Question 2: a big part of City Eco Lab will be about food distribution
      projects and systems; we'd like to know who is leading the way in
      bicycle-based courier services - from the point of view of the
      service, and of equipment;
      Question 3: we plan to run a "eco design clinic" for small businesses
      throughout City Eco Lab's 15-day run; we'd like to know, who is doing
      really fantastic work helping small companies change, especially
      if the model being used might easily be transfered to our event?
      A simple email with a link or pdf will suffice at this stage:
      <john@...>

      ECOSYSTEMS AS ECONOMIC ASSETS
      The drinks industry depends on ecosystems to supply fresh water;
      agribusiness relies on grasslands for insect pollinators, nutrient
      cycling, and erosion control; the insurance industry benefits from the
      fact that coastal marshes reduce the damage caused by hurricanes and
      that wetlands absorb water from floods. Though our wellbeing is totally
      dependent upon these "ecosystem services" they are predominantly public
      goods with no markets and no prices; so they often are not detected by
      our current economic compass. As a result, due to the pressures coming
      from population growth, changing diets, urbanisation and also climate
      change, biodiversity is declining, our ecosystems are being continuously
      degraded and we, in turn, are suffering the consequences. Some
      economists, and some global companies, are finally beginning to measure
      the value of ecosystem services; this could be an important step towards
      looking after them better (and/or, of course, attempting to privatise
      them). An important report published last week, Economics of Ecosystems
      and Biodiversity (TEEB), begins to develop a yardstick that is more
      effective than GDP for assessing the performance of an economy.
      And the World Resources Institute has developed the Corporate Ecosystem
      Services Review to help managers take more explicit account of their
      company's dependence and impact on ecosystems.
      http://idw-online.de/pages/en/news?id=262707
      http://www.wri.org/stories/2008/03/companies-respond-ecosystem-degradation

      ECO "STANDARDS" BLIZZARD
      "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others".
      Groucho Marx could also have been talking about environmental standards.
      Any supermarket these days contains hundreds of labels and displays that
      make claims about the environmental attributes of different products.
      Organic, Fairtrade, FSC Certified, "sustainable". This blizzard of
      assertions is confusing - in some cases, one suspects, intentionally so.
      At the UN Climate Change Conference in Bali 85 per cent of respondents
      agreed that "some companies are advertising products and services with
      environmental claims that could be considered false, unsubstantiated or
      unethical". Greenwashing Index allows users to post, rate and comment on
      "green" advertisements; but how, otherwise, are we are to decide which
      issues are most important, and which labels we are supposed to trust?
      Read more at:
      http://www.doorsofperception.com/archives/2008/05/eco_standards_b.php

      SUSTAINABLE DESIGN STANDARD WORKSHOP
      These overlapping standards and measurement systems make it hard to
      define when "sustainable design" is truly sustainable. In the UK, new
      regulations will place specific eco-design obligations on designers
      across the product lifecycle. Undaunted, an event in London called
      Setting Standards for Sustainable Design will communicate good practice
      in environmentally conscious design, and indentify priorities for
      development. Design Council, 10 June 2008
      http://www.bsigroup.com/en/Training-and-Conferences/About-conferences/UK-con
      ferences/SustainableDesign/
      or: http://tinyurl.com/4v486f

      SOFT INFRA
      Developing economies are being transformed by the phenomenon whereby
      soft infrastructure - such as, especially, mobile phone networks - is
      installed despite the absence of hard infrastructure - such as roads,
      or national power grids. The Centre for Knowledge Societies in Bangalore
      has published Emerging Economy Report about the phenomenon. It's a
      crucial element of what Ezio Manzini calls the "leapfrog hypothesis;"
      this is when developing countries jump over the environmentally most
      damaging stages of industrial development. The CKS report contains a
      rich variety of descriptions of daily economic life in India, China,
      Indonesia, South Africa, Kenya, Egypt and Brazil. The report argues
      strongly for the importance of the informal economy: the majority of
      urban retail is conducted outside the corporate sector in developing
      countries - and favelas contain very few chiller cabinets.
      Read more at:
      http://www.doorsofperception.com/archives/2008/05/emerging_econom.php
      http://www.emergingeconomyreport.com/

      WIRELESS TECH FOR SOCIAL CHANGE
      Mobile technology is transforming the way advocacy, development, and
      relief organizations accomplish their institutional missions. The UN
      and Vodafone have published a report called Wireless Technology for
      Social Change.
      http://www.vodafone.com/start/foundation/news/mobile_technology.html
      http://www.unfoundation.org/vodafone/communications_publication_series.asp

      SOFT BUT NOT LIGHT
      Mobile networks may be soft - but that does not make them light. The
      phone in your pocket contains a tiny quantity of gold, for example,
      whose extraction required 200 pounds of earth to be moved. A Forum
      for the Future report called Earth Calling lists the processes most
      responsible for the environmental impacts of the sector: extracting
      the raw materials that are used in phones and network equipment;
      manufacturing phone components; running the networks; managing phones
      and network equipment at end-of-life; using, and particularly charging,
      phones; rolling out network infrastructure; transporting people and
      physical parts to maintain the system; constructing and managing
      offices, retail stores and call centres. And that's not counting the
      impactful behaviours that mobile phones enable or cause, such as
      spontaneous trips, or sudden purchases.
      http://www.forumforthefuture.org.uk/node/389

      LUDIC LIDO IN LONDON
      The event designers of City Eco Lab, in November, will be Gaelle
      Gabillet and the architecture collective EXYZT. In London, Exyzt
      and filmmaker Sara Muzio have created the Southwark Lido. Following
      in the tradition of Roman baths and Turkish hammams, it provides
      a setting for social gathering, ritual cleansing and uninhibited
      political discussion among residents of Southwark and visitors
      to London Festival of Architecture.
      http://www.lfa2008.org/event.php?id=165&name=Southwark+Lido
      http://www.exyzt.net/tiki-index.php

      FOOD IN LONDON
      How might more food be grown in London? A conference will provide
      a review of the urban agriculture movement internationally and closer
      to home - including a presentation by Ian Collingwood who led the
      Middlesbrough Urban Farming project in Dott 07 (whose senior producer
      was David Barrie). Also talking is Fritz Haeg, author of Edible
      Estates: Attack on the Front Lawn. The event will look at urban
      agriculture through the lens both of food security, open space,
      education and health.
      http://www.sustainweb.org/page.php?id=433

      AETHER'S AMAZING ACTUATORS
      Scattered House is an architectural experiment that deals with issues
      of ubiquitous connectivity, family diasporas, design-by-occupant, and
      public control technology. What you experience is an installation
      assembled from inexpensive electronic toys and gadgets. We are all
      invited to visit the Hungarian Cultural Centre in London and contribute
      toys and gadgets that will become part of the amalgamated whole.
      Architects and interaction designers Adam Somlai-Fischer and Usman
      Haque, authors of the online manual "Low Tech Sensors and Actuators",
      will be on hand to advise and assist in this process.
      http://scattered.propositions.org.uk/

      TORINO GEODESIGN
      For Torino Geodesign, which has opened in Turin, fifty designers
      worked with local communities and companies to realise prototypes.
      The resulting exhibition promises "atmospheres, installations, working
      prototypes, non-working prototypes, old masters, young ambitions, radio,
      research, experiments of all kinds, video, images, until arriving at
      the cognitive collapse of the visitor". It's open until June 13.
      Then in July the main conference of Torino Geodesign, Changing The
      Change, features Marco Susani, who these days has the grand title
      of Vice President, Global Digital Experience Design, Motorola;
      and Geetha Narayanan Founder Director of Srishti School of Art
      Design and Technology, India.
      http://emma.polimi.it/emma/showEvent.do?idEvent=23

      REINVENTING PUBLIC CONSULTATION
      Governments, public sector agencies, and businesses all spend a ton of
      cash trying to connect with members of the public. They use focus
      groups, hold meetings, conduct extensive polling, spam citizens with
      online surveys, and talk endlessly about social software. Their efforts
      either achieve unusable results, or they ignore them anyway, or both. In
      Toronto, Peter MacLeod has started a new company, MASS LBP, that takes a
      new approach. "We like to talk about 'creating a seat at the table, a
      hand at the wheel and a turn at the mic' says Peter, who argues that
      better, more durable decisions are made when decisions become shared
      with the people they affect.
      http://www.masslbp.com/masslbp.php

      METRICS FOR SOCIAL BENEFIT
      How do you measure the benefit of socially directed design? A
      methodology for evaluating social benefits called Social Return on
      Investment (SROI) has been developed to help social enterprises put
      a monetary value on the future social benefits of their activities.
      It allows discussion of how (and where) they create social value
      with their stakeholders in a more compelling way than saying
      'invest in us - we're a good thing'.
      http://www.sroi-uk.org/

      SOUGHT: DESIGNER CITZENS
      Elizabeth Resnick is writing a book about the notion of the "designer
      citizen" and the inclusion of social responsibility within design
      curriculums. She would like to connect with design educators in the UK,
      Europe, Australia and Asia, who are engaged in similar teaching and
      project work, who might wish their projects to be included in the book.
      ElizRes@...

      TRAIN TIMETABLE TREASURE TROVE
      Are you in the market for a collection of 250,000 out-of-date public
      transport timetables? Robert Forsythe has amassed a treasure trove
      of transport and travel publicity ephemera dating back to 1838. The
      collection has a strong focus on UK nationalised railway from 1948,
      but it also covers coastal and cross channel ferries, waterways,
      de-regulated buses, and "certain elements of 19th century interest
      and all sorts of surprises, like Garden Festival transport".
      If you are running a museum of timetables, this is a one-off
      opportunity. Don't be late.
      http://www.forsythe.demon.co.uk/transport.htm

      ARCHITECTURE OF GAMESPACE
      "Space Time Play" is an incredibly useful book about "the future of
      ludic space" based on 500 pages of examples and reflections. The book
      includes milestone video and computer games, and virtual metropolises
      and digitally-overlaid real world spaces. It's staggering how many
      different ways people have devised to blend video games, locative
      technology, cinema genres, and real world situations. My conclusion,
      after reading "Space Time Play", is that a second edition is needed.
      The 'real' world contexts here are mostly Bladerunner-urban; most people
      in the book probably imagine that our futures will be overwhelmingly
      urban. I I don't buy this widespread assumption at all: in an age of
      unreliable food and water systems cities will become inhospitable.
      The next edition of this book should be about locative media
      used in camping and foraging.
      http://www.spacetimeplay.org/

      BATTERIES FOR BATTLE
      The U.S. military relies so heavily on more than 500 mobile
      battery-dependent devices that soldiers must often carry 20 to 35 pounds
      of batteries on a mission. Batteries are needed to power night vision
      equipment for vehicle drivers, radios, weapon scopes, lasers, mine
      detectors, sensors, GPS, meteorological systems and various forms of
      Illumination. NATO forces are spending $57,000 per soldier per year
      in Iraq and Afghanistan for batteries alone - and 75 per cent of the
      capacity of those batteries is wasted as soldiers discard partially
      used batteries after every patrol. A company called M2E promises
      that its power produts offer "grid-free operational life and
      lower weight, improve the soldier's load factor and provide
      mission extension opportunities".
      http://www.m2epower.com/apps/military.htm

      THREAT DESIGN
      Bruce Schneier started his annual Movie-Plot Threat Contest to create
      fear. Not just any fear, but "a fear that you can alleviate through the
      sale of your new product idea. The idea is find a risk or create one:
      It can be a terrorism risk, a criminal risk, a natural-disaster risk,
      a common household risk -- whatever. The weirder the better. Then,
      you create a product that everyone simply has to buy to protect
      him- or herself from that risk, and finally, you write a catalog
      ad for that product.
      http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/04/third_annual_mo.html

      MEDIA ART: NOT SO NEW?
      "New media" were an important component of the early Doors of Perception
      conferences - but can they still be called new? Maybe they never were:
      Contributors to a new book called Media Art Histories trace the
      evolution of digital art from thirteenth century Islamic mechanical
      devices, and eighteenth century phantasmagoria, magic lanterns, and
      other multimedia illusions, to 1960s Kinetic and Op Art. They also
      consider the blurry divide between art products and consumer products,
      and between art images and science images. Media Art Histories is
      edited by Oliver Grau and published by MIT Press.
      http://www.mediaarthistory.org/pub/mediaarthistories.html

      BED-TIME STORIES FOR GEEKS
      Tom Erickson has published a collection of 51 short, personal essays
      and reflections on the story-so-far of human computer interaction.
      Each text reflects on a piece of work - book, paper, demo - that's
      at least 10 years old. Tom tells me he thinks of it as "bedtime
      stories for HCI geeks".
      http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11330

      FOR OUR ROMANIAN READERS
      http://www.bizcity.ro/management/john-thackara-afacerile-ar-putea-deveni-sub
      iect-de-design-31790.html?&search_words[0]=thackara
      or: http://tinyurl.com/43ge6p

      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2008

        One the MAP question: you should check out Green Map System, www.greenmap.org. This is an international non-profit that has an alternative green icon system and a worldwide network. We are just completing Santiago (Chile) Version zero – 10 large maps of the whole city and a 200-page directory and manual on how to use the city better. But the range is everything from very small, to books, workshops, and large-scale projects. Indeed, we consider the participatory methodology an intrínsic part of the process. This is a great resource and they are fine people to work with.

        All best

        Lake

        Lake Sagaris

        Living City (Ciudad Viva)

[...]