"Future Transport in Cities"

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2001
      From: Brian Richards [mailto:brianr@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 12:52 PM
      To: eric.britton@...
      Subject: Future Transport in Cities

      Dear Eric,

      I'm just writing to let you know that my new book 'Future Transport in
      Cities' is now published by Spon Press.

      Cities around the world are being wrecked by the ever-increasing burden
      oftraffic. A significant part of the problem is the enduring popularity of
      the private car - still an attractive and convenient option to many, who
      turn a blind eye to the environmental and public health impact. Public
      transport has always seemed to take second place to the car,and yet
      alternative ways of moving around cities are possible. Measures to improve
      public transport, as well as initiatives to encourage walking and cycling,
      have been introduced in many large cities to decrease car use, or at least
      persuade people to use their cars in different ways.

      This book explores many of the measures being tried. It takes the best
      examples from around the world, and illustrates the work of those architects
      and urban planners who have produced some of the most significant models of
      'transport architecture' and city planning. The book examines the ways in
      which new systems are evolving, and how these are being integrated into
      the urban environment. It suggests a future where it could be mandatory to
      provide systems of horizontal movement within large-scale development, using
      the analogy of the lift, upon which every high-rise building depends. In so
      doing, future cities could evolve without dependence
      on the private car.

      Kind Regards,

      Brian Richards

      Brian Richards trained as an architect at Liverpool and Yale and have taught
      at the
      Architectural Association, and worked in Sweden, the United States, France
      and Morocco. I have also worked as a consultant to OECD on pedestrian
      movement, and with London Transport on station planning and interchanges.

      This is my fourth book on the subject of transport and urban design.

      Contents: Part One: The Transport Situation Today.
      Part Two: Transport and the Future City.

      Part Three: The New Transport Technology.

      'Future Transport in Cities' by Brian Richards can be ordered from all good
      bookshops at £24.99, or you can order a copy directly by phoning Spon Press
      on +44 (0) 1263 343 071, by e-mail: book.orders@... or via the
      www.sponpress.com. Prices including P&P are as follows: UK £26.24, Europe
      £27.94, ROW £31.49