Creative networking around "slowth"

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2008
      Creative networking around "slowth"

      The first-cut entry that I started some time ago on slowth in the Wikipedia -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slowth --is being challenged because it lacks references and hence is subject to eventual removal, The editors suggest that “The best way to address this concern is to reference published, third-party sources about the subject.

      So my question to you is that, if you have a feel for the concept, can you possibly take the time to go in and make it a more solid reference? The text presently reads like this (below):

      Kind thanks. Its a great cause. (Or is it?)

      Eric Britton

      Slowth is a New Mobility transport planning concept, which posits that lower top speeds can lead to shorter overall travel times in a physical situation, usually in a city.

      This is a powerful model which urban planners and traffic engineers, with a few notable exceptions, are only recently starting to take seriously. Also referred to as "slow transport".

      A traffic system based on slowth is carefully calibrated by [traffic engineers] to lower top speeds – 20 or 30 kph on most city streets is one common target – but where the entire system leads to steadier flows and throughput, and, with it, greater safety, lower emissions, and higher quality of life all around.

      ·       "Great concept. It is at the heart of traffic calming of course and now 'Naked Streets' as well as the Slow Cities idea from Italy. It is interesting that 20 to 30 kph is the speed that we are biologically made for as our maximum. It is the speed that sprinters reach and of course over thousands of years our hand eye co-ordination has adapted to that speed so we see so much more at or below that speed. Birds can see at much faster speeds and have adapted their skills and observation accordingly. We can’t do much at high speed other than stay straight so we have awful accidents all the time due to 'human error' and somehow get surprised by it."

      1 Proponents

      ·       John Adams, United Kingdom.

      ·       Donald Appleyard, United States.

      ·       Eric Britton, France

      ·       Dan Burden, USA

      ·       David Engwicht, Australia

      ·       Jan Gehl, Denmark

      ·       Ben Hamilton-Baillie, United Kingdom.

      ·       Mayer Hillman, United Kingdom

      ·       Hans Monderman, The Netherlands

      ·       Peter Newman. Australia

      ·       Stephen Plowden, United Kingdom

      2 See also

      ·       Cittaslow (Slow cities movement, in English)

      ·       Home zones

      ·       Livable Streets

      ·       New Mobility

      ·       Pedestrian#Pedestrianisation