critical thinking on Car Free Days

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2001
      We are setting up a small informal group to mull over and encourage critical
      thinking as to Car Free Day strategies and next steps, world wide.

      The point of departure in these discussions is a fairly high degree of
      dissatisfaction with the actual on-street accomplishments of most of these
      efforts thus far -- and to see if we can come up with some clues as to ways
      of getting away from today's generally cheery rhetoric about the concept and
      on to using the Car Free Day as a strategic instrument to achieve actual
      concrete moves to more sustainable transport in cities. A Car Free Day
      without visible results of this sort is in our view a fairly trivial
      exercise (unless of course it is seen and treated as a explicit step in this
      more ambitious direction) .

      That at least will be the starting point for these discussions.

      If this exercise interests you and you think that you may be able to help us
      do a better job with this challenge, please do get in touch. All hands are
      welcome.

      Eric Britton

      The Commons __ technology, economy, society__
      Day phone: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 80 96 78 79
      24 hour Fax/Voicemail hotline: +331 5301 2896
      IP Videoconference: Ils.austin.polycom.com The Commons
      Email: ecoplan.adsl@... URL www.ecoplan.org
    • Pearce, Nick
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 29, 2001
        eric,

        i would love to be involved in any sort of discussions that you and others are
        considering. i was in maastricht for their car free day, and with the best will
        in the world it was still a bit of a damp squib. What format would these
        discussions take? I have spoken to you in the past, about your X cars
        discussion papers and so forth, so i will look forward to lively discussions in
        the future.

        yours

        nick pearce
        sociology department
        lancaster university
        lancaster
        la1 4yn

      • carshare1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2001
          In a message dated 10/29/01 5:32:54 AM, n.pearce@... writes:

          >i was in maastricht for their car free day, and with the best will
          >in the world it was still a bit of a damp squib.

          I think you have just described a great place to start the discussions:
          what worked and didn't work (in relation to the goal) in various cities and
          why?

          Dave Brook