New forum on City Bikes - An invitation

  • eric.britton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 24, 2008

      This is to invite any of you who may share this interest to join a new forum here specifically focused on the issues around City or public bicycles. This is intended to provide a useful supplement to our on-going World City Bike Implementation Strategies [r for which you can find full details at http://www.citybike.newmobility.org/

      Do we really need yet one more discussion group? Well I can think of two possible justifications for hits. First. To save the people in this group the time and bother of details in this specific area which may not be of immediate interest to all here. And second because, no more, no less, the world really does need people and groups who care about this useful form of low-carbon, high-equity new mobility to put their brains and energies together to make it happen. More, faster, and better! You can bet it won’t be world government that will do it for us.  ;-)

      To join: a blank message to WorldCityBike-subscribe@yahoogroups.com will do it nicely. And if you have thoughts for me on this, please do let me know.

      Eric Britton

      One more New Mobility guy

    • Michael Yeates
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 24, 2008
        Thanks Eric,

        Great idea ... as long as it does not result in the further marginalisation of bicycles (of which the City bike is a subcategory) as a mode of transport to be considered with all others and not as some other possible option ...!

        To date, there is not much more sustainable mode in the transport field than the bicycle ...!

        And there is one other issue in which Australia sadly leads (trails?) the field and that is the compulsion to wear bike helmets ...

        As has been said many times before, there is no reason not to promote the wearing of bike helmets as a risk compensation and individual choice ... but no grounds whatsoever to make it compulsory ... indeed far more people would be saved from death or serious injury if all car, bus and train passengers were required to wear helmets and also pedestrians ...!

        All compulsion "says" is that "bike riding is dangerous" ... more dangerous than all the other modes that don't require a helmet.

        And while there might be scope for all sorts of solutions to this problem, the interest in Citybikes makes helmet compulsion a mainstream issue for this discussion group ... which is a good thing too.

        In fact what is good for Citybikes may well also apply for many other forms of cycling.

        MY.....................

        At 04:10 PM 25/01/2008, eric.britton wrote:

[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • Kerry Wood
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 25, 2008
          Thanks again Eric

          Michael: An even worse problem with compulsory cycle helmet wearing
          it that in New Zealand it has been allowed to become a substitute for
          policy, with helmet-wearing statistics and enforcement campaigns but
          precious little else. Thankfully, this 'policy' seems to be changing.

          Kerry Wood