"Visions of sugar plums float in their heads"

  • Rishi Aggarwal
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 26, 2007
      Dear Eric,

      I very much appreciate the way you put your thoughts across in a very no nonsense manner and at the same time being sensitive to other viewpoints. Thanks for sharing the video clip - very interesting. Such tools have been used all across the 60's and 70's to implant numerous well intentioned ideas in millions of heads as you correctly mention. And we are now seeing the consequences emerge. And still the machinery which generates these videos and other tools has not stopped generating further such ideas.

      Wishing you and other members on the forum a fruitful New Year ahead!

      Regards,

      Rishi
      Mumbai, India

      On 22/12/2007, eric.britton <eric.britton@...> wrote:

      We think we live firmly in the present, but as your doctor will point out this present is highly colored by all kinds of images that we have picked up along the way, as often as not without being conscious of them.

      Thus it is in our own realm here. So  when it comes to rethinking, and even more to reinventing, transport in cities, it is important that we understand not just what might be lodged in our own well-intentioned heads as to our favored great next idea for society -- but also to have a feel for that the other guys may have, both in their conscious minds and back there further in their heads. If we don't understand the "other guys", and more than that have at least a certain sympathy with their own concerns and positions, we have little chance of making any deep changes in our pluralistic often hotly divided democracies.

      So very much in this spirit of understanding the other guys here is a nine minute "thinkpiece" about our favorite topic as seen and cooked by no other that Walt Disney exactly fifty years ago next week, which I am pleased to share with you today (and with kind thanks to our friends at NYC Streetsblog.org (try it, you'll like it)).  Check it out at http://www.streetsblog.org/2007/12/20/disneys-highway-to-hell/.

      PS. It's no joke.